GO!

How much do Saints eat?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Murdoc

Who said- bulldogs aren't- lapdogs??

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 3:47pm PST 
I am buying my first Saint Bernard. Everyone says to make sure you are capable of feeding them before you think of buying one. Well our English bulldog I was told should only eat 2 cups a day from the breeder. Our neutered bulldog actually eats 4 cups a day and is very muscular not an ounce of fat. So I am wondering how much everyone eats a day?
[notify]
Nixon

Barked: Tue Oct 20, '09 9:02pm PST 
Well, Nixon is 6.5 months old and eats 8 to 8.5 cups a day. I mix dry with wet food or tripe. He weighs 103+ lbs and is pretty active.

Have you been told not to feed him puppy food?
[notify]
Murdoc

Who said- bulldogs aren't- lapdogs??

Barked: Wed Oct 21, '09 9:27am PST 
No I haven't been told that. We feed our bulldog Evo lamb and rice.
[notify]

Nixon

Barked: Wed Oct 21, '09 12:05pm PST 
Because giant breeds grow so quickly they need to be fed differently. I was new to all of this too since our older dog is a puggle. Giant puppies should be fed low protein to slow their growth process as they can have problems with their bones and joints if they grow too quickly. Nixon was gaining about 5 lbs a week when he was little even tho we had him on low protein adult dog food. I fed large breed puppy food for the 1st couple of weeks till I did my research and then I switched to Canidae (sp?) all stages. His growth has slowed a lot now that he's a bit older so I'm not as careful as I was and I sometimes switch his food when I can find premium adult dog foods on sale. He seems to tolerate the switch pretty well but I try to do it gradually to avoid stomach upset.

Here's the site I use.
http://www.greatdanelady.com/articles/amount_to_feed_large_and_gia nt_breeds.htm
It's geard towards Danes but has good general info for feeding all giant breeds.

Edited by author Wed Oct 21, '09 12:06pm PST

[notify]
Lady Bird

I love Klondike

Barked: Wed Oct 21, '09 1:53pm PST 
wavewave

I am 4 years old I get feed 4 cups a day
[notify]
Sarge

Give me a hug or- else!

Barked: Fri Oct 23, '09 9:21am PST 
Sarge gets around 2cups and three meals a day.
6 in one day of Nutro Adult.

He was on Nutro Puppy for one large bag and that was from his 5th month to his 6th. He switched to Nutro Adult around 6mo. We got him when he was 5mo.

Sometimes, I sneak in 1 extra cup if he's particularly anxious and seems hungry.
[notify]
Miles Giles

The First- Mid-Missouri Pet- Idol!

Barked: Thu Oct 29, '09 12:23pm PST 
Miles was a little sickly and underweight when I adopted him. He ate EIGHT cups a day for about a month at one point. Now that he's all caught up weight-wise and super healthy, he eats three cups two times a day at nine months old. I feed him Eagle Pack Holistic Large and Giant Breed Puppy. It's specially formulated for the needs a giant breed dog.
[notify]
AJ Frank N- Bean

New Years Pup,- AJ Awesome- Express

Barked: Mon Nov 9, '09 11:31am PST 
We have had 5 Saints & 2 Newfies. These pups grow fast and need alot of food when growing - we have always left a full bowl of food out for all our dogs (self-feeding or self-feeders). This has always helped in the dogs eating when they want and prevents bloat and eating problems. When the pups are young - they can eat up to 8-10 cups a day. But usually once they are older (1-1/2 years) they eat the same as an average sized dog (4 to 4-1/2 cups a day). Our dogs have always maintained a healthy weight and health by letting them have access to food at all times. We have never had any eating disorders or problems. Wishing you all the best with your Saint - they are GREAT DOGS! Living LARGE!
[notify]
Snoopy

Self-appointed- Cookie Inspector

Barked: Thu Nov 19, '09 4:01pm PST 
Snoopy is just over 2 now and he eats about 4 cups a day of Orijen. We also mix tripe at times or go raw when possible. Phoebe our 7.5 month old Newf eats the most of all the dogs around here!

As others have said watch the food intake and the Type of food when feeding the pup. Have fun with him!
[notify]
Harra

night owl

Barked: Sun Nov 22, '09 12:58pm PST 
Harra is 5 and eats 4 cups a day. He will only eat at night even if his dish is full all day and he is fairly active
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2