GO!

I still have Diarrhea!

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Callie

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 12:55pm PST 
Ugh, you guys, I really need like widespread help here. I mean, like, talk to everyone you know and ask your vet if you go! Callie STILL has diarrhea. She's on prednisoe for her atypical Addison's Disease (I'm not completely sold she has this) and she's on Royal Canin Intestinal HE. Nothing helps. She's back to eating her poop again (so disgusting!) and she's very hungry (which is why I think she eats her poo). My vet has done every test imagined. The food is very expensive and I don't think it's helping. PLEASE! Any advise? (PS- she hasn't vomited in a while). Oh also, she ACTS fine!! She doesn't act sick or anything. Now we have to deal with urinary incontinence due to the prednisone that I'm not even sure works. She'll have a semi-hard stool once every 2 or 3 days and the rest is diarrhrea. She had one episode a few weeks ago when she was extremely lethargic and wasn't eating anything and then she threw up about 3 times. Vet thought it was a motility problem and that's why she's on the new food. Does this sound remotely familiar to anyone? Please pass the word and ask your friends. I appreciate it!
[notify]
::Loki::- Rainbow- Bridge::

R.I.P Loki My- Savior in so- many ways

Barked: Thu Jul 23, '09 6:05pm PST 
Okay Callie, this is the first post of yours I have read lol haven't been on for a long time. Anywho I really wouldn't feed royal canin, it's not the best food out their for your money. It has a lot of yucky stuff in it first off, and I am almost certain they use ethoxyquin which is a rubber stabilizer. I am not sure if your familiar about this. Also you can try an elimination diet to see if she is having any allergic reactions to her food.

Second off, if she has some GI issues you can put her on probiotics and even mix plain fat free organic yogurt to her food, which helps a ton. I give it to Loki every night in his food.

I have had the same issues with runny stool with Loki, and I switched his food to Blue Buffalo and he hasn't had any issues with it. You can contact Sedona about her "dog food" post she did a few months back, it is great advice as she did a ton of homework. I also believe Royal Canin is made by the candy manufacturer Mars. And honestly I won't feed my dog a dog food that is made by someone who specializes in candy, toilet paper, ect....

If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me. I may not answer right away because we're in the middle of moving out of state lol, so let me know and I can give you my immediate email.
[notify]
Callie

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Fri Jul 24, '09 12:15pm PST 
Thank you Loki. I know, I'm not a fan of Royal Canin, but that is what the vet prescribed so that's what we switched to. I'm not buying another bag, though because I haven't seen much of a change and it's $78!! Maybe it is time that I do an elimination diet, however. thanks for the advice. good luck with the move!
[notify]

::Loki::- Rainbow- Bridge::

R.I.P Loki My- Savior in so- many ways

Barked: Fri Jul 24, '09 1:40pm PST 
Ah So your not a fan of royal canin lol, I wasn't sure if you were the type of dog food guru the rest of us are. I dont try to pressure people into buying quality dog food, I just like to educate people on it.

If the elimination diet doesn't work, has she been tested for parasites? Maybe you could ask the vet to deworm/give some antibiotics even though the tests may be negative. What about the transition time for royal canin? I always do it really slow, and over a period of 30-60 days. I am trying to scratch my head to think of anything else that can possibly cause GI upset.

Have you tried fasting her? I know I have to fast my boys when it gets to bad. I don't feed them for 24 hrs and they get water only, probiotics, and thats it. It usually clears up after I do fast him.
[notify]
Dolly

I'm spoiled but- not rotten!

Barked: Sat Jul 25, '09 2:35pm PST 
canned pumpkin has also been known to firm up poop, have you considered a grain free food?
[notify]
Callie

Is it time to- eat?

Barked: Sun Jul 26, '09 9:27am PST 
Thank you all, yes, she's been on all sorts of medication for parasites, infections, stomach protectors, etc. I just went through a round of pumpkin with her too!! Loki, I just went to the pet store and bought Blue Buffalo, so we'll transition her on that and see how she does. And yes, I did have her on Canidae Grain Free and she did ok for a little bit and then went right back to normal. ugh!! We did fasting that one day she was very sick but other than that we haven't done it b/c she is always STARVING (though she does gain weight). I don't know what to think anymore but I do have 1 question for you all about probiotics....what brand and how much do you give your dogs? And is it ok to give them extra if their food says it has the probiotics already in it?
[notify]
Lucy

is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Aug 19, '09 6:43am PST 
Lucy had diarhea for a few days after we rescued her. I switched her food to Blue Buffalo - Whitefish and Sweet Potato - and it all went away. She does get occasional loose stools when we give her more than one rawhide bone to chew on though!

Best of luck!
[notify]