GO!

First Heat Cycle

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Nikki - CGC &- Therapy Dog

No fear!

Barked: Sun Dec 23, '07 5:30am PST 
We have 2 Rotties, a male and female. The male will be 2 next month and the female is 9 months. We plan on breeding them but after she is 2 and has had her hips xrayed and certified. Anyway, she has yet to go into heat. Can anyone tell me what to expect and what to look for so we know it's getting closer? If you have to get graphic and don't want to post it, please paw mail me. This is driving me crazy!

Thanks!

Edited by author Wed Aug 5, '09 5:53pm PST

[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 8:06am PST 
Do you know anything about breeding? Why do you want to breed? Please, unless you really know what you are doing and not a BYB / Hobby breeder PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't. I expect you are a hobby breeder because if you were a reputable breeder you would not have to ask that question. I am not putting you down but hopeing to make you see what you are doing is wrong. There are soooo many rotties killed everyday because of hobby / byb / pm's that just want to breed. Please don't be one of them no matter how good you think yours are. If your dogs never came from a registered reputable breeder you don't know what genetic problems that can or will happen. You won't know about the cancers , hips , elbows, heart, deformities etc. Most will end up probably in shelters or dead. Are you ready for 8 -14 puppies? Do you have the money / vet care / food / room for them all? Are you willing and able to take back a pup / dog if EVER the buyer changes their minds for ANY REASON? Will you have contracts for spay / neuter? Will you make sure it is done? Will you do reference / vet / home checks? There is alot more to breeding then just putting 2 dogs together. I beg of you to not breed unless you get certifications on health / hips / eyes / elbows / heart, do checks on BOTH parents, have vets ready for complications, money to pay for all this ( which can get into thousands of $ ) be ready to take any or all back at the drop of a hat for any reason, have contracts that both have to abide by, do all the checks ( ref/ vet / home), how they will be trained and so many other things.
[notify]
Ainjel - In Loving- Memory 8/25

Queen!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 1:43pm PST 
I don't think they were looking for a speech - they were asking about the First Heat Cycle.

Sorry - just my .02.
[notify]

Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '08 7:46pm PST 
Wow, let me guess... you would like to see more dogs being born to owners who don't know what they are doing and possibley causing them lifelong pain or death... Besides... I don't believe I was talking to you.
[notify]
Tia

Barked: Mon Jan 14, '08 6:36am PST 
This is a place for people to post questions. If you don't have an answer, then don't reply. No place for being rude.

I'm sure there is a thread somewhere that you can express your opinion on only dog breeders to breed dogs.silenced
[notify]
Daisy - R.I.P.

Good Morning- Beautiful.

Barked: Tue Jan 15, '08 2:28am PST 
Having the right to protect dogs from possible health problems from uneducated people breeding GIVES ME THE RIGHT to question anyone why they are breeding etc. if they don't even know anything about the heat cycle or even signs. If you don't like it you can go elsewhere. Having rotts myself and all for RESPONSIBLE REPUTABLE breeders / working in shelters / rescue / fostering etc. also gives me the right because I am one of the ones CLEANING up irresponsible breeders messes. Take your own advice . If you are no help... don't post.
[notify]
Belle

just your- average sweet- loveable girl!

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '08 8:09am PST 
Have you ever visited a shelter or rottie rescue? That's what happens after the money for the cute little pups has changed hands.
If you want to get into breeding for the love of the breed and not money I'd suggest working with a reputable breeder first to see first hand what you're getting into. There you can learn all about heat cycles and breeding lines and certifications and adoption contracts and vet care for newborn pups and the mama and trouble shooting if there's complications. My pup was the result of 2 pure-bred rotties and ended up left in a crate in a back yard underfed, non-socialized, neglected and abused before she was rescued.

Now in answer to your question, her kooch will become very swollen and she'll lick herself alot. Then you'll see clear discharge first then pink then red then pink then clear again. It takes about 3 weeks.
There, noone can say I didn't answer the question.
[notify]
Princess- Kitana

mother hen,- behave children- behave

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '08 8:10am PST 
i understand that everyone has to start somewhere for learning but there is still the basic stuff that you should already know before considering breeding. i am sorry but you should know about the heat cycles before even thinking about breeding. i do breed myself but my dogs came from a reputable breeder (as i know their health history) and have had health tests done. this is not something that should be taken lightly. this is very serious considering all the dogs that are abused and in shelters. and i see Daisy's mom has givin you the only info on here i hope you are doing more research into this. i NEVER stop researching the breed. also i hope you have a strong stomache because you will be helping with the actual delivery of the pups. and you might have some long nights if mom can't feed them all on her own. please do research into this before you make up your mind. out of 3 litters we have had one pup brought back (couldn't have it, we made changes specifically for that reason) and the pups what kinds of homes will they have. we screen everyone first BEFORE they leave this house with one of MY KIDS. there's a lot more to this than most people expect. visit someone (a good breeder!) who has a litter and see, it's a lot of work
[notify]
Princess- Kitana

mother hen,- behave children- behave

Barked: Wed Jan 16, '08 9:30am PST 
she'll also be very loving and want to go outside a lot. each female is different, you'll notice a change in behavior as well as the extra licking of herself.
[notify]
Diesel

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '08 12:47pm PST 
There are ways to give information to people, also to give your opinion, advice, in a way that they will listen and hear your advice, and a way that they will block out what you say by your attitude.
You are rude, and I will not leave the site just because of your overbearing loud comando attitude.

I am happy to hear you work with rescues, as I am one that also rescues animals from shelters that people dispose of in a whim at times.

Because of irresponsible breeders, I have adopted a boy that can not run and play, is losing muscle mass very quickly, and not going to live a long healthy life.

I try and educate people , not humiliate them.

Keep cool, this site is for everyone. You could have sent the original poster an email explaining WHY it is not a good idea to breed his dog.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2