GO!

rhodesian Ridgeback off leash?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Meeka

Barked: Sat Mar 10, '12 2:41pm PST 
Im looking into getting a RR puppy but have one concern. I am very active with hiking camping and jogging, and do much of it in open off leash parks... Are ridgebacks trainable off leash? I have heard not. Thanls!
[notify]
Bella

Barked: Wed Mar 14, '12 5:26pm PST 
I've heard the same thing. We have a Ridgeback mix and if something catches her eye, it is really hard to snap her out of her trance to get it. We've done a ton of recall training and she has improved some, but if its something really enticing- a dog friend of hers, a small animal, food... she'll go for it. What we've done about hiking is tie a long rope to her typical leash and then she trails the rope in the woods. If we see her get interested in something, we'll grab the rope and reel her in. We also always have treats to get her back from her trance. The nice thing is that ridgebacks are known to be food motivated, so that eases training.

In terms of being in the yard, our neighbor has trained his purebred ridgeback to never leave the yard without him. When he hikes with him, he also keeps him on a long leash and pulls it in when he needs to.
We've noticed that ours is also reluctant to leave the yard alone, though I wouldn't trust her yet.
[notify]