GO!

Can you prove a dog is a purebreed without it having papers?

This is a forum for bonding with your fellow Dogsters about the traits, quirks and idiosyncrasies of your favorite breed. Please remember that there are absolutely no animal sales or requests for studding or breeding allowed on our sites. All posts and interactions should be in the spirit of Dogster's Community Guidelines and should be fun, friendly and informational. Enjoy!

Max

My best friend

Barked: Thu Jan 22, '09 2:47pm PST 
I'm looking at some Rhodesian Ridgeback puppies. The owner of the female was given her when he moved here to go to college from PRico.

He had no idea that it was a "special" breed and did not ask for or was given papers on her. A couple of months ago he paid a stud fee to a AKC male and now has some great puppies.

Is there any way to "prove" a dog is a purebreed? Thanks smile
[notify]
Kit

Barked: Sat Jan 24, '09 11:06pm PST 
Actually, the very definition of a pure-bred dog is that it is a papered dog. Let's say for example that you bought your dog from a breeder who has shown that the parents of your puppy are registered pure bred dogs. If for one reason or another your puppy wasn't registered then your puppy is not considered a pure bred dog even though it's parents were.

However, if you've acquired your dog through a rescue or through some other means other than from the actual breeder, it may be possible to discover if your dog was registered as a puppy if your dog was microchipped. Usually a reputable breeder will microchip their puppies and you can find out if your puppy is a registered pure bred dog this way.
[notify]
Stormy

Brown Eyed Girl

Barked: Sat Mar 21, '09 9:17pm PST 
Ridgebacks are no more "special" than any other breed of dog. Not to be a critic but did you ever think he may have just didnt think to ask because she wasnt intended to be bred in the first place??? Or hes just telling you that because he wants more money for the puppies that would otherwise be or lesser *quality* so to speak.

You can get a dog DNA tested and Im sure THAT way they can see what breeds are in your dog.

I guess it all really comes down to what YOU want out of the puppy. If you want a pet, then why bother about papers, YOULL know its a pure Ridgeback (hopefully).

IF you have plans to show your dog in any AKC recognized competition or sport, then I would pass on heartache and frustration and purchase a dog you KNOW is register-able, whos parents are also both registered, and then you will have proof if needed. Nothing worse than buying a dog "forgetting to ask" for papers and then having to jump through hoops to try to locate the breeder and get them to register the litter, the puppy, etc etc etc etc long process.

AKC also has a program that you can send in pictures of your supposed "purebred" dog and they will go over the pictures and either consider it registered or not. You have to also send in proof of spay/neuter as these dogs may be limitedly "registered" but they arent breeding stock in AKC's eyes. Ive though about doing this with my Border Collie we adopted from the local shelter. He came to them as a stray so there is no PROOF that hes 100% BC but... just look at his pics, what else could he be?!@ lmao..
[notify]

Bella

Barked: Wed Apr 1, '09 1:49pm PST 
DNA tests are NOT at all an effective way of telling what breeds are in your dog. I have worked at a vet hospital for years. Recently we had a meeting with a representative from one of the companies that are doing DNA testing to find out what dog breeds are in your dog. He explained the science behind it and it was weak at best. We had an employee of our hospital send in a blood sample from his own dog to see how accurate the test was. The results came back extremely...well to put it frankly WRONG. It works in some cases, however they do not have many of the breeds in their databases. Also, DNA from pure bred dog that has lineage from England or other countries will differ from a pure bred dog of the same breed in the United States. I think it is a fun test, but should not be used to determine anything definitively at this point. They are very expensive tests for how many faults the system they are using has at this point.
[notify]