GO!

What to buy first?!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Tala

Cuivis dolori- remedium est- patientia

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 5:50pm PST 
Well, I went out and bought Tala a freezer, downloaded the raw feeding spreadsheet from dogster Tikka's post and joined a rawfood co-op. Now here I am staring at these bulk order sheets and baffled at what on earth to buy first. My freezer starter pack, I'll call it. I am planning on still doing kibble some days too, but want to have a good selection of raw, without breaking the bank.
Any guidelines on what types of things to buy first?
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Wed Jan 1, '14 6:08pm PST 
Chick-En!

Its the first thing when transitioning to raw. its easy on the stomach and has edible bones,that,or rabbit,even turkey,because they all have soft pliable bone.

You can all bulk buy the different proteins you will feed later on. First thing first is. feed whatever protein you choose to start on for a week,if your pup has solid stools and no digestive issue,go ahead and slowly add the new one with the old until you can feed it alone without problems.

If you do it gradually and your dog has no problems,by the end of the month you can start adding organ meat,also in really,itty,bitty teeny,tiny portions LOL. to avoid upsets,you can also get some Slippery Elm bark and Skullcap at any Walmart/health store and mix it to make things even easier on the digestion part.

You can start with anything really,but chicken is the best. by two months you should be done. transitioning to raw will take a week. remember introduce anything slowly.

after your dog is ok,you can come back with kibble,feeding small ammounts and not together with raw. some people have no issues at all,but I prefer not to if i ever need to.

Good luck!!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 12:32am PST 
Watch the budget! Boneless stuff is worth more than bony, lean is worth more than fatty stuff and venison/beef/lamb is worth more than chicken/duck/rabbit/turkey as far as those elusive zinc mg are concerned. I have had to bump up my top price to $2.50 a pound for boneless beef but chicken should be less than $1, pork about $1 and lamb and venison are usually far too dear for my pocketbook.

Green tripe and organs are great stuff. As far as I can tell there isn't any real need to spend a lot more on harder to get other organs as long as you have one kind. Spleen and sweetbreads are great but if kidney is cheaper stick to that. If you are buying bulk then don't get single organs, would take years to feed through!

I'd try new things before buying a whole box too. I can get a box of pig feet really cheap but since I had given them to Max earlier I know better. He thinks they are a dirty trick and much too hard to eat for his liking. I can get him to eat rabbit heads but they aren't his favorite so I would only get such if they were a really good deal. Many dogs are hesitant to eat fish, try out the exact kind before buying a box.

And chicken is the first buy and it will likely be a staple food for your dog.
[notify]

Tala

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 10:32am PST 
I started simple with chicken leg quarters and pork loin. I figure I can cut some meat off of the bone as far as chicken goes so I won't always feed the bones because I know content wise that is too much bond to be feeding daily.

What fish is ok to feed?
I have a couple whole rainbow trout
[notify]
Tala

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 12:06pm PST 
Ok I am going to keep posting here for now rather than keep making new posts. I have access to some other meats for reasonably priced but I don't really know their value. So, other than the fish question I'm also curious what the value of these meats would be:

Braided bone marrow
Scalded tripe
Beef feet
Beef heart
Ox lips
Something called 161 round beef
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 2:26pm PST 
No idea what the first and last items are.

Scalded tripe is chewy and tasty but not particularly good stuff. Can be very fatty and not very high in protein. I would pass.

Heart is excellent and a mainstay for many people along with chicken. Very high in iron and yummy stuff. Definitely get this one!

Beef feet, not fed but suspect they are extremely stinky and fun to eat yet a potential tooth hazard. I would definitely want to try them out before buying a big box to see how your dog does with them.

Oxlips, not fed. Suspect they have skin on so very fatty and probably nice and chewy. You might want to see what they look like to decide if they would be a good buy or not. I would probably try this one out. Google images, they are quite scary looking things, worse than tongue.
[notify]
Tala

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 4:26pm PST 
Since I buy human grade, I'd almost be tempted to try cooking oxlips myself out of curiosity. They are gnarly looking!
Does fatty mean not a good main protein? As in I wouldn't want to make it a meal a week or every two weeks?
I'm still working on connecting with other raw feeders near me that I can split purchases with so when I'm buying 30 pounds min, I want to make sure I really want it!
I can get hearts 4 at a time for $1.80/ lb. I need to keep shopping around for prices but so far, this distributor is my best option.
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Thu Jan 2, '14 6:36pm PST 
Since calories put on weight and grams of fat displace grams of protein I am not a fan of feeding super fatty stuff.

For example take hamburger just because it is easy compare fat grams and all that.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/8004/2
70% lean raw hamburger
93 calories and 4 grams of protein per ounce.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/beef-products/6188/2
95% lean raw hamburger
38 calories and 6 grams of protein per ounce

If I feed Max who conveniently eats about 10 ounces, about 600 calories and at a minimum 50 grams of protein on average per day all 30% lean hamburger he would get 930 calories and 40 grams of protein. Ouch. If I gave him 95% lean hamburger he would get only 380 calories but 60 grams of protein. Dogs do great on fat and it is likely the reason for all those reports of improved coat condition but there is such a thing as too much fat. It can cause loose stool that can be quite scary looking. If your dog has problems with the pancreas too much fat could cause him/her to go into pancreatitis. If your dog is chunky like Max and Ginger were then better to limit fat than protein so they can lose weight easier. One reason to start with bony chicken is it is so easy to modify the fat going into the dog - just pull off the skin and the meal goes from 15% fat down to 3% fat.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/645/2
Ra w chicken skin and meat
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/650/2
Ra w chicken meat only
To get that number I chose 100 grams and looked at the number of fat grams.

Kibble is very low in fat compared to raw so it makes sense to cut back on the fat going in at the change over.
[notify]
Kali earned- her wings- 10/21/14

She's game for- anything that's- fun.

Barked: Sat Jan 4, '14 6:59am PST 
Bump
[notify]