GO!

Giant Breed puppy on Raw Diet?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 11:55am PST 
Hey everyone, I joined this site to learn more about raw food diets for my pup I will be getting. So I plan on getting a Cane Corso around 8-10 weeks old. IS it good to start a puppy on raw? I'm just want my puppy to grow to the fullest that he can. I've read that, raw diets are the best.
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 23, '13 12:44pm PST 
I plan on starting my pup on this raw diet http://homemadedogfood.com/feeding-raw-dog-food/
[notify]
Flicka ~ CGC

NO-ONE is going- to sneak up on- my Mummy

Barked: Wed Dec 25, '13 5:46pm PST 
bump
[notify]

Harley

Mommy. Mommy!- Whatcya doin'- Mommy?!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 6:06am PST 
I have a 5 month old Newfield that I started on raw as soon as I got her and after some tweaking and discussions with others I feel I finally have a good handle on her diet. I will say, as a giant breed she eats about 40 oz a day right now, broken into 3 meals. The fist is a veggie/yogurt meal and the other 2 are meaty bone and organs. I suggest reading Give Your Dog a Bone. There's a lot of books out there that try to turn raw feeding into a science project and this one doesn't.
[notify]
Harley

Mommy. Mommy!- Whatcya doin'- Mommy?!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 6:12am PST 
I looked at the link you posted and I would definitely not follow that for my pup. It's incomplete in more ways than I can list.

Raw feeding really is great, when done the right way but it isn't for everyone either.

General guidelines are:
60% raw meaty bone
5% liver
5% other organ (kidney is usually easy to find)
15% veggies (leafy greens, root veggies, even some fruit)
15% meat, yogurt or cottage cheese.

Variety is key!
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Fri Dec 27, '13 8:41am PST 
We follow the prey model diet which is 80% meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other secreting organ (ex: kidney, spleen, sweetbreads)

I don't remember if you need to adjust it for a puppy or not, I am sure someone will jump in to clarify.

This is a good resource to answer most of your questions:
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/prey-model-raw.html

If you need any help, feel free to post any questions or concerns here. blue dog
[notify]
Oliver

Gotta love me !

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 4:41am PST 
As Obi says Prey Model 80% meat/ 10% bone/ 10% organ. I started all my puppies on raw
[notify]

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 4:54pm PST 
Just joined dogster - excited to share in the discussions focused on a'raw diet'. Feel like I have done my homework and ready to move forward - putting all our pets on a raw diet.
Our newest member is a 9 week old Giant Schnauzer, also have an 8 year old 'pound puppy'(a terrier mix) she came from an abused home, but we have had her 7 years and has made gradual improvement over the years, considering the environment she started in! and a kitten that came from the same shelter some 9 years ago. Our two older pets are both over weight; even though I monitor their food intake. Guess they will never be of reasonable weight as long as they are on kibble. Any helpful hints will be very appreciated!
[notify]
Ginger

Ready Set GO!

Barked: Sun Dec 29, '13 7:23pm PST 
How about starting here? I haven't had a large breed pup but understand that one starts a bit faster than for an adult dog. Feed bony chicken until poop is firmed up and start new proteins and organs as his gut allows.
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/prey-model-raw.html

Max and Ginger both started out on raw overweight. I feed chicken with no fatty skin, leaner cuts of meat and best of all, big and harder to eat bony bits. I have been lucky enough to have access to smaller whole prey like feathered chicken, rabbit and fetal lamb/goat. Stuff like large bits of pork neck, pig feet and racks of ribs might work too. Ribs are fatty but so much fun to feed it is worth the splurge.

I was extremely surprised when Ginger ate her fill of feathered chicken two times in a single month and went from 17.2 to 16.5 pounds in one month. Either it was so much work she just got tired or it was spending 45 minutes for a meal instead of 5 was that much extra exercise I don't know and this worked for Maxwell too.

I also feed according to the size dog I think they need to be. If my dog was 60 pounds and would be healthier at 50 pounds I would start him/her at 16 ounces a day including treats which is 2% of that 'ideal' weight. Now whether that 50 pounds is correct or not is another matter. I put my hands on the dog instead. It is possible the dog would gain a lot of muscle on raw so he/she might still be 60 pounds but the ribs, shoulder/hip/chest points are easily felt. Max's ideal weight was 33 pounds on low protein kibble but 38 pounds on raw!
[notify]

Barked: Mon Dec 30, '13 10:34am PST 
Tried chicken wings and no luck with either of one. As much as they like to chew I thought they would love chewing it - may be harder than I thought.
Everything I have read says to start out on chicken, but thinking of going to get some baby back ribs to see their interest level with beef.
My little puppy is good to chew anything from the rug to my coat, but a piece of raw meat forget it!
So believe this is the best for their health, but they sure seem resistant to it!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2