GO!

Thoughts on feeding 3D and 4D meat?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Shadow

Barked: Fri Dec 20, '13 12:00pm PST 
A recent thread here made me stop and think about where the meat I'm feeding my dogs is coming from. I started feeding raw because I wanted to feed my dogs a better diet than kibble, but I'm wondering if I'm just feeding them raw the same meat that would be in their kibble anyway.

The closest thing my state has to a co-op are individuals who sell meat through a yahoo raw feeding group. There is a Blue Ridge Beef distributor, a company called Top Quality Dog Food and another woman who sells meat that she says is sourced from New York farmers.

Blue Ridge lean beef is around $1.50/lb and this other woman sells a beef/tripe mix for $1.25/lb. It's nice that it is cheap, but I never really stopped to think about why. There must be something wrong with the meat since if there wasn't it could be sold for way more money for human consumption. Also the individuals selling this must be getting it for even cheaper and then mark it up to make a profit themselves.

I don't know any of this for a fact but google searches have resulted in posts saying that blue ridge does sell 3D beef and it is also denatured with charcoal. Anything within a similar price range must also be the same thing. I have never seen beef at the grocery store for a cheap enough price that I could afford to feed it to my animals on a regular basis. Even pork is usually at least $2/lb. If this is all I can afford to feed my dogs, is it any better of a diet than kibble?
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sat Dec 21, '13 9:37pm PST 
I would not feed my dogs from 3D meat. You do not know why the meat was rejected for human consumption - antibiotics, diseases etc. I would not take it if it was free. I would certainly feed a good quality of kibble. So sad you have to do so much research that you don't poison your dog.

I buy lots of turkeys when they are .89/.99 lbs and also load up on pumpkins - huge ones can be purchased for $2.00 ea where I live.
[notify]
Toto, CD,- RN, CGC

We don't- doodle!!!

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 4:30am PST 
The problem with turkey is that all the ones around here, at least, are "enhanced" with a minimum of 6% salt solution and usually it's 8 - 10% enhanced. That is way, way too much sodium for me, as well as my dogs.
I end up having to buy a fresh turkey and those are around $3 a lb which is way too much to feed on a regular basis.
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 6:56am PST 
The 3D and 4D meat goes into kibble anyway. I'd rather feed it fresh than processed.

It has to be denatured, my provider grinds bone into the grinds rather than using charcoal.

Most of the food my dogs get comes from the grocery store anyway. The rest comes from a meat processor and most of his meat comes from his business of slaughtering animals. Since some of it, such as organs, sit in bins until processed they can be a bit stinky but are not spoiled. The trim comes from hung carcasses and that is stinky too.
[notify]
Shadow

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 10:39am PST 
I can buy chicken for cheap enough from the grocery store but I should be feeding more red meat than white, right?

It looks like there is a butcher about an hour away from my house that some people on my yahoo group buy from with decent prices. I'll probably have to take a trip there. Most of the red meat would be ground though. Is a diet of ground boneless red meat and bone in white better than kibble? Has anyone ever fed goat? Is that considered red meat? Looks like they sell a whole goat cut into 6 pieces for $1.95/lb. Not really sure what that would look like. I'm not comfortable chopping up a whole animal. Well better I realized this now vs later.
[notify]
Seela

Beauty and the- Beast

Barked: Sun Dec 22, '13 2:58pm PST 
Wow Maxwell, you made me run to the dog food bag and Toto made me dig through the freezer. I checked the turkeys I buy and it says 3% for 80 mg so I had been lucky. I do not buy the butterballs or stuff added and I guess to have to ensure that the turkeys were not brined - which is bigger in the US than Canada.

I feed "GO" which is supposed to be made with human grade food. I will certainly check into it further. On the internet (I only believe so much) the 3D meat put into kibble can also be from lab animals, zoos and euthanized cats and dogs. That really scares me. If "GO" is not human grade food, then I think I better rethink on what I am giving my dogs.

Shadow, I did check on the red vs white meat. Red meat is lower in omega 6 and higher in saturated fat. Poultry is lower in saturated fats and higher in omega 6. Red meat is slighter higher in protein, but you certainly can add whatever if you want higher protein, or mix the two.
[notify]
Marley

Barked: Thu Jan 9, '14 10:19am PST 
I think there are two schools of thought on this one. Yes, 3D and 4D meats are not processed into a kibble and, therefore, it seems to be more biologically appropriate. But there is a reason why that meat is so inexpensive. I really feel that you get what you pay for with pet food and it will show in the dog, maybe not right away but with time. I feel that most raw feeders are feeding raw because they want what is best for their dog(s). I understand that not everyone can afford to pay exorbitant amounts of money for raw, but there are other, better options out there than 3D and 4D meats at more reasonable prices. Although both of my dogs eat an exclusively raw diet, I think I would rather feed a high quality kibble that doesn't use 3D/4D products (not all kibble companies use inferior products like that) than feed 3D/4D raw.
[notify]