GO!

Lamb shank bones

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mika

Barked: Mon Dec 16, '13 6:17pm PST 
My one yr old doberman is on BARF diet, and I've just started feeding her whole raw lamb shank, I use to only give her poultry bones such as chicken and turkey as they are softer, and I will feed her lamb and veal meat, but not the bones.
So today first time feeding lamb shank, I was watching her closely as she eats. She manage to get all the meat off the shank and starts to chew on the bone, I let her chew on both end's joint as I figure they are mainly softer bones, but after the joints are gone, she manage to chew a piece down from the mid bone(the hard bit) and swallowed it whole before I could take the bone away as I didn't see or hear her chew on it, she just swallowed it down!
Upon checking what's left, I figure she must have swallowed down a pretty sharp piece(like a splinted piece from the bone) the length of a thumb. She seems fine right now, didn't choke on it. I'm just wondering if the lamb bone will get softer once in the stomach? Because I don't want the sharp piece perforate her intestine.
Guess I'll just stick to poultry bones from now on... She just love to swallow things that she can't chew.....

Edited by author Mon Dec 16, '13 6:23pm PST

[notify]