GO!

Honest Kitchen Preferance, Good or Bad? Causing Allergies?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Sun Nov 24, '13 7:45am PST 
Hi,
I feed mostly a BARF diet but provide whole chicken backs or pork pieces for PM meals (only bone I feel comfortable feeding)
My question is regarding using HK Preferance? I used to grind my own fresh veggies & fruits to add to my ground muscle meat AM meals. I supplemented with raw ACV, raw coconut oil, kelp & alfalfa. I stopped being able to find the time to shop & grind, and for a while wasn't feeding any veggies or fruits. The dogs actually did fine on this but I began to get concerned about my older dogs organs and the high protein without some carbs to break it up. I started using HK Preference about a year ago and it worked well but I started noticing one of my young dogs feet chewing. I changed proteins (strictly elk, venison, and pork) that didn't help, and I decided on a whim to pull him for Preference, the effect was noticeable in just a few days and very clear in a few weeks. My other young dog has been feet licking (not chewing) and I deiced to do the same with her, and she too is doing better without Preference. My other 3 dogs, including the 2 oldies, are doing famously on the preference. Has anyone else used HK Preference & noticed any of these issues?
Thanks!
Christine wavewave
[notify]