GO!

liver and new to raw food diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Baron Ammo- Leavitt

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 3:59pm PST 
I just started my dog on the raw food diet on friday. I have just been giving him a chicken leg quarter twice a day, but am now going to be giving him chicken breast as well as hes been constipated so i think its to much bone? i also was gonna start giving him chicken liver but cant seem to find it anywhere right now. Is he ok to just eat the chicken leg quarter and boneless chicken breast for the next week? this is all soo new to me and a bit confusing, but i am eventually going to start adding in other meats but wanted to keep it with just chicken for a few weeks till i know hes adapted to it. any help or suggestions would be amazing!!!! Thanks So Much!!!

Edited by author Tue Nov 19, '13 4:41pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Nov 19, '13 11:13pm PST 
You could just take some bone out of one of the chicken quarters too. A little liver lubes the tubes as well. A little. If he is going to be 100 pounds then a daily dose of liver would be 1/2 of 3.2 ounces [his total organ amount for the day] or 1.6 ounces. For starting liver you would try about .15 ounces first day and increase every day or so until you he is eating the whole 1.6 ounces a day.

How do you know he is constipated? Dogs new to raw often have guts that won't evacuate until a certain amount of waste is ready to be eliminated so you will see a last kibble poop the day after starting raw then may not see another one for a few days. Ginger, a little 17 pound dog, takes this to extremes and has enormous poop every 3-4 days. I don't know how often her kibble poop was produced, sure hope it was daily. Max has the normal tiny raw fed poop that is produced once a day if fed once a day or twice if fed twice a day.

I live in so Cal and don't think I have ever been in a good sized market that didn't have chicken liver and I live in a white bread community. They are packed in white tubs on the top shelf of the poultry section of the meat counter. Worst case, buy whole chickens and there is liver inside the chicken. Better, look for ethnic markets, they will have chicken, beef, pork and possibly lamb liver available. Here are a couple of chains with good online flyers.
http://www.kvmart.com/
http://www.superkingmarkets.com/

Chance's page has most of the dogster community knowledge written up so it makes more sense. I had to calculate, take notes, make tons of bookmarks, measure and weigh and calculate again before I got the hang of raw feeding. You are not alone!
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/prey-model-raw.html
[notify]

Barked: Wed Nov 20, '13 10:14am PST 
Good and useful information happy dance
[notify]

Baron Ammo- Leavitt

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 10:05am PST 
awesome thank you so much. apparently they took liver off of the shelves at grocery stores because people were getting sick, but i will check out some ethnic markets this weekend. he seems constipated b/c he keeps squatting to poop but has a hard time and gives up. when he finally does its rock hard and filled with bones. i started giving him 9.5oz of rmb chicken leg quarters and 9.5oz of boneless skinless chicken breast twice a day. It seems to be easier for him to poop but its still filled with bones. will he eventually start digesting the bones, or is this just normal. also he seems to be starving all the time now. hes 80lbs. should I be feeding him more? and when do you suggest i start introducing other meats? once there aren't bones in his poop? ha ive never payed so much attention to poop before
[notify]
Baron Ammo- Leavitt

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 2:34pm PST 
somehow i totally missed your links for those stores. very helpful. one is right by me wee!!! what do you suggest i add for his next meat source? i was thinking either turkey or beef, but still very concerned with the bones in his poop
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 3:43pm PST 
Max didn't do well with chicken long bones for a long time. I gave him backs and ribs instead. Might switch it around and offer bony chicken breast for right now. Try 2 a day with bone and bone one if he still has bony poop.

You could even take out all but one of the leg bones and see how it goes. Ginger did great right away with a smaller amount of bone. Every dog is different, Max needed daily bone for a long time and Ginger was on bony stuff every other day inside a couple months.

Really? Did not know that. Hope the ethnic markets have some liver then. Either start another protein OR start liver though. Making one change at a time helps you and the dog's gut figure this new food out. I started pork just because that was the meat with the best deal that week. Beef is better than pork though. Turkey really isn't much different than chicken but Max tells me turkey necks are IT.

Smart dogs figure we humans have lost our minds and want more while the getting is good. Unless he gets ribby don't believe him. Ginger even instantly gained a waist on raw. After that last enormous kibble poop came out there it was! Since I couldn't feel any ribs I knew she wasn't going to starve any time soon and stuck to the plan. He is still a pup and 2-3% of his expected ideal adult weight is where to start a pup, you are pretty close to that mark with 2 pounds a day for a 100 pound adult, right?
[notify]
Baron Ammo- Leavitt

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 4:10pm PST 
yeah hes supposed to be about 100 lbs so ill stick with it. i added another 6oz of just raw boneless skinless chicken breast for a snack in the middle of the day to make my boyfriend feel better so ill see how that goes. i feel hes perfect weight right now so hopefully he stays like that. Thank you sooo much for all your help. ill keep with it, but only give him one chicken leg quarter with bones and debone the rest and see how that works. ive only been going to ralphs as of right now and apparently they only get liver from foster farms which is why they dont have any, but im sure an ethnic market has some from other sources so ill get that over the weekend. do you think its better to start with liver or another food source (pork or beef) first? You are my savior!!! thank you!!!
[notify]
Baron Ammo- Leavitt

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 4:23pm PST 
ok so i found out about introducing new proteins from that site you gave me so im going to introduce 2 new proteins before i introduce the liver. sorry my posts are spastic and allover. i totally forgot because im thinking it may be hunger but my boyfriend says that he throws up almost every morning really early but its just white foam and liquid. just want to check if that's normal? ive read a few places that it could be from hunger but im not sure if thats bile or something else?
[notify]
Maxwell

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 4:38pm PST 
Most people start another protein next then after the usual proteins are introduced go to organs. Since liver is such a tiny amount it might be easier to do that way. Feeding .16 ounces of an organ the first day then .3>.45>.6>.75 and on and on until you get to 1.6 ounces of a given organ just seems like you aren't doing anything so it is easy to go too fast and get dark gooey organ poop which can be upsetting to new to raw feeders.

Early morning vomit is usually because he is expecting food. Max was horrible on kibble but on raw doesn't do it any more. I think the high fat and zero carb help him out. I'd give him that extra bit just before bedtime to see if it helps.

I prefer to feed once a day and Max did really well for a long time that way but this summer I wanted to walk the dogs twice a day. Well walking after eating one big meal a day didn't work well so I switched to feeding twice a day after walks. Worked great but Ginger was then super excited and more reactive so I switched to feeding before the walk and now she is pretty used to eating raw her poops are just fine. You may have to experiment a bit for a while is my point. Remember hard poop might be too much bone, not enough food, not enough fat. Soft poop might be not enough bone, too much food, too much organ, too much fat or walking too soon after eating too much.

Weren't a poop watcher? I always have been one. Sassy, my first dog, was a champion garbage hound and her poop was ever changing and very interesting - or maybe horrifying is a better word to use.
[notify]
Baron Ammo- Leavitt

Barked: Thu Nov 21, '13 5:22pm PST 
awe thank you sooooo much!!!! you really have been a huge help!!!!! his stool has always been pretty runny on dry food then we changed to grain free and it got better now with the raw its super hard, but i think i have a good idea of what im doing now. i cant thank you enough for your help!!!!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2