GO!

How's My Diet?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Fergus TT

mmm... feet.

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 9:58am PST 
I've been trying to use Nutrition Data to analyze Ferg's diet. Not only am I having technical issues with the site itself (anyone else getting repeated internal service errors?), but some values aren't hitting the mark.

Anyway, he gets 2% and weighs 35 lbs. Here's his typical weekly diet:

80% Muscle Meat
- beef heart (10% or 7.8 oz)
- boneless pork shoulder (32.2 oz) rotated with boneless beef round roast (3 weeks pork, 1 week beef)

10% Bone
- chicken quarters (approx. 26 oz)
- whole mackerel (approx. 4 oz)

10% Organs
- liver: mixture of beef, pork, and chicken
- kidney: mixture of beef and pork

Other
- vitamin E once a week (300 IU, I think. I stupidly threw out the bottle)
- 2000 mg wild salmon oil daily
- 3 eggs/week
- he occasionally gets turkey when it's on sale during Easter, Thanksgiving, Christmas
- for treats throughout the week (training on walks, etc), I use Acana grain-free kibble

I appreciate any critiques and help, as after trying to analyze his diet, I'm concerned that my attitude of hoping for the best may not be ok...
[notify]
Delta

Play hard, sleep- well.

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 12:09pm PST 
Overall, I'd say it's pretty good. I would rotate the variety of meat whenever you can, just so that he is getting a variety of nutrients.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Sep 30, '13 2:05pm PST 
Let me guess. Low in zinc, magnesium and manganese? You are doing fine as is.

You could add a grind of sunflower seed for the magnesium and manganese and try a tiny bit of oysters for zinc. Two ounces of canned oysters a week takes care of Max's bit of a deficiency of zinc and two ounces of ground sunflower seeds a day does the other. My guy doesn't do well with sunflower seeds and he not only dislikes oysters but I forget to give them to him so I use a multimineral and a zinc supplement instead. There are other ways to get those low minerals in like some kinds of kelp but the iodine thing worries me too. I have tried dropping this and he really is better on the stuff.

A vet is doing her own informal study on feeding prey model raw with meat/bone/organ grind and not seeing any issues even though a few numbers aren't perfect.
http://dramyrawdogfoodresearch.com/RawDogFoodResearch/Does _Raw_Pet_Food_Warrant_Unique_Set_of_Nutrient_Requirements_%28copy_of _my_article-some_%22food_for_thought%22%29.html

ND was giving me trouble, turned out I had more than one tab of ND open. Closed one and it is working better now.
[notify]