GO!

Switching to 1/2 and 1/2 again.. *sigh*

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 9:21am PST 
I'm feeling pretty guilty over this. I used to be so dedicated to the raw diet, but lately there are so many reasons for us NOT to do it:

1) I just got offered full-time hours at work, and I know I won't have the leisure time again.

2) The prices of raw are twice as expensive now as what they used to be 2 years ago in my area.

3) I'm coming to the conclusion that I am simply too tired/lazy/apathetic to take the time to do all the math that is required for raw.

#3 makes me feel like a terrible pet owner. There was a recent thread shut down on this forum where the OP claimed that people who didn't feed raw were just lazy, and frankly I feel like that right now. I used to have so much motivation for the diet, and I just don't anymore. I want convenience. Does that make me a worse pet owner than before?

I really wanted to try feeding Honest Kitchen's Preference with meat, or their balanced varieties, but it was all WAY too expensive for us. Instead, we're now feeding Wellness Core (fish) for breakfast and a combination of raw and home-cooked for dinner.

I respect all the people on this forum that have done the diet for years and keep at it, and I wish I could do it as well. I hope people don't think any less of me for this, and I still want to hang around the forum to extend the knowledge that I've learned here.
[notify]
Snowberrys- Shinning- Star HIC S

I'm a little- shit- disturber!!!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 2:03pm PST 
Please don't feel guilty or beat yourself up over this.

Charlie is so cute!!!!! He looks like the twin of a dog I had long ago. His name was Spike and he was a real character.
[notify]
Taggert

Semper Vorax

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 4:15pm PST 
I know I feel very guilty about not feeding prey model. It just didn't work for us for a variety of reasons, cost being the big one in my area too. You would think since we are in beef country that it would be better priced but it's not.

We went over to Sojos because honest kitchen is harder to find in my area. Freeze dried is still far better than kibble, per serving size wellness and sojos or honest kitchen should be about the same cost. Freeze dried just looks more expensive because you are not paying for water.
[notify]

Sasha

Better watch- yourself!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 4:35pm PST 
Don't feel bad (i do too still) but it's about what works for everyone. I only got to do full raw for a few months before the cost and Dante not eating shut me down, but i really did believe in it frown However living off of ramen noodles so my dogs can have a full raw diet is somewhat ridiculous, besides me still not being good enough at balancing to keep from stomach upsets. They're doing pretty well on alternating days and I can afford food for myself. Plus they eat the kibble with just as much gusto. Win win smile

Taggert good point, i'll have to relook into honest kitchen. I have a big box of dehyrdrated veggie mix for back when I thought it would be a good supplement along with the prey model. Didn't sit right with them at all tho =/ Anyway big box, says it equates to 26 pounds, only $50 dollars. Pretty sure the 25 or 30 pound bag of Blue Wilderness is like $52 or something. Definitely worth it if I can find a better mix!
[notify]
Gizmo

14- Years- Young!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 5:29pm PST 
I know how you feel. Yesterday I broke down and bought a bag of kibble. I’m working two jobs over the summer, and I just don’t have the time to source and prepare meals for two dogs. Plus if I can’t shop around and get good deals it’s realllllly expensive. So it’s half and half for a while, at least until fall and I’m not so busy- plus I can score a lot of free venison after deer season.

Anyway, for every person who thinks you're lazy for not feeding raw, there's someone else who thinks feeding raw will kill your dog. You can't make everyone happy, so don't worry about it- you're a great pet owner for putting so much though into your dogs' diet. way to go
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 9:05pm PST 
Thanks all for the comforting comments.

Taggert, we didn't just look at price but how much it would last. To feed our two dogs a good, grain-free kibble like Acana or Wellness is between $60-70 and lasts about 40 days. THK would have cost $70-80 for the large box and would have lasted us 20 days.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 11:19pm PST 
The way I see it is that there is that we only have so much time, money, and energy to go around. When life becomes overwhelming, then something's got to give. And I know that it's surprised a few people on these forums before, but my pets are not my number one priority wink, so I know that if it gets to the point where raw is going to be too time consuming or too expensive for me, then I WILL switch back to kibble -- I'm not one of those people who is going to eat ramen noodles for weeks on end just so that my dog can stay on raw...

Try not to beat yourself up about it. Maybe you'll get to the point where you're inspired to try raw again, maybe not. It's all good. You have happy, healthy dogs and that's what matters.

As you can probably guess, I have no patience with the raw feeders who seem to enjoy purposely making kibble feeders feel bad for their choices (FB has a lot of those types, unfortunately). It makes me think that they really need a different hobby (or a more interesting life)... laugh out loud
[notify]
Feather

Just a quick nap- before bed- time!!

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 4:45am PST 
I feel the exact same way sometimes. When I am busy, or have a busy week like this week, I feel like it can get overwhelming. On those days, I have The Honest Kitchen that I hydrate and add raw meat. I am also not one of those people who will go without so my dogs can eat raw. Rexy said it very well.

Meal times around here can get crazy too. I have 4 dogs, one who has kidney troubles so can't have bone but I want her on raw, one who is 17 years old and pretty much EVERYTHING constipates her, and one who has become so very picky. Overwhelming?? Yes!! To be totally honest, I haven't fed strict prey model raw in a long time. I just don't have the time or resources. I feed various things, sometimes just meat, veggies, organs and supplements. That seems to be the easiest right now for everyone.

You do what you can, and with all that you know, your dogs will do very well with whatever diet you formulate.
[notify]
Charlie

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 6:28am PST 
@Rexy: I stay off of all but one facebook group now because of that. I've always loved this forum, because the vast majority of people are very sweet and understanding.

I love my dogs to death, as much as some people love their children, but that can't be top priority over everything in my life. At this moment, switching them to a high quality kibble means that when we move out at the end of the year, they'll be able to live in a nicer, larger apartment and their mommy will be much less stressed.

@Feather: In the evening, I feed whatever I want... RMBs, boneless meat with eggs, vegetables, mashed sweet potatoes, etc. As long as it's somewhat varied, I feel safe that the morning meal is balanced enough to keep them on the right track. I like the idea of keeping THK Preference for very busy days too. We still can't afford it right now, but in the future I'd like to try that out.
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Wed Jul 24, '13 8:46am PST 
Nothing to feel bad about. I no longer do full time either after doing it for nearly 6 years. I have three kids aged 3 a d under, the youngest being 3 weeks old, plus working part time, shuttling the kids all over, etc. Plus the cost of three mouths to feed... just no longer feasible. If people want to look down on me for that, it's really their problem... we are all doing what we can. I definitely don't have time to worry about it anymore! Don't sweat it, especially if your dogs condition is still good.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3