GO!

Chicken question....

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 2:17pm PST 
Hi guys,

So I started feeding raw a couple of days ago and my supplier suggested chicken necks and wings to get Skip used to chewing bone, he also said to hold the bone so he didn't swallow it whole...

Skip, at the minute, weighs 6.3kgs and is nearly six months old...

However, I've just been told that he shouldn't be getting wings or necks as they're too small cry

Is it possible to cut the necks in to smaller pieces so he can chew them without the worry of him swallowing them whole?

Being a raw newbie, I do tend to panic and would really appreciate any help and advice.

Thanks x
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 2:41pm PST 
Cutting them into smaller pieces would increase the chance he would swallow whole chunks, wouldn't it? With a dog that doesn't know how to chew properly, you want to look for big, irregularly shaped pieces. I would think the potential problem from necks would come from their shape (could slide right down).

If you can get whole fryers, that might be the best place to start. You could halve or quarter them and let him go at it. In addition to holding the small pieces while he's learning, feeding frozen or partially frozen meat is another way to slow gulpers down.
[notify]
Skipper- a.k.a Skip

Terror terrier

Barked: Fri Jun 14, '13 3:01pm PST 
Thanks Onyx, yeah I realised what I had wrote sounded a bit silly...

One of the 'raw chat' groups on Facebook just knocked my confidence... I thought holding a chicken neck and wing as he chewed and learned to chew properly, was a good idea but they shot me down in flames about feeding such things and especially holding it... They seem to think a dog being aggressive around food is okay and you should leave them to eat in peace. I don't hassle my dogs when they're eating but I like to think, for safety reasons, I can pick their food up without being attacked!
[notify]

Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Sat Jun 15, '13 7:50am PST 
I held Hanks chicken leg the first time he ate it and he did fine. Now I just let him go at it outside (while checking on him of course) Hank in't a huge chicken fan so just give him a chicken leg every other day for the bone, he pretty much eats beef, pork, chicken gizzards/hearts (along with liver and kidneys)
[notify]
Jackson Tan

Lad about town

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 3:00am PST 
Some puppies do okay on wings, some don't ... Necks are very bony, a lot of calcium in a meal of these and easy to swallow down. I would use drumsticks and thighs, they are irregularly shaped and have lots of meat. The whole roasters can be really cheap too and then you can just hack off the chunks you want.

Mine chews up all chicken fine, even tiny little necks, but every dog is different.

ETA: I also see no problem with holding the food, especially with a pup? He should be getting used to your hands around his mouth, especially if he's going to be eating raw.

Edited by author Sun Jun 16, '13 3:05am PST

[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sun Jun 16, '13 7:46pm PST 
The biggest risk with holding your dog's food, is that they are actively crunching through raw skin, flesh and bone. Guess what your fingers are.

As far as chicken necks and wings go... I feed turkey necks all the time. I would feed chicken necks, but my girls don't do well on chicken. As individuals, they have no issue chewing and I'm confident in their ability to handle these items.

I don't prefer to feed wings - too much skin, fat and bone versus meat. Thighs are a favorite meal around here, although again, turkey, not chicken. I have fed drums, but I stopped because they're half "naked" and my dogs tend to throw up bits of bone the next day.
[notify]