GO!

Raw and Hip Dysplasia

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3  
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 1:59pm PST 
When I try out new things for me or Chance, I always do them 1 at a time so I know what worked and what didn't and, if there is a problem, what caused it.

You could give DGP (Dog Gone Pain) a try if the Zeel/Traumeel does not work or works but Rexy needs a little something extra. People in some of the groups I am in have used it on their dogs.

INGREDIENTS: Marine Collagen Extract; Boswellia Extract; Corydalis Root; Wheatgrass; Turmeric; Fever Few Extract; Celery Seed Extract; Mucopolysaccharide Complex; Malt Extract; Wild Rosella; Capsicum; Aniseed Myrtle; Mountain Pepper; Bromelain; Papain; Microcrystalline Cellulose; Magnesium Stearate; Natural Beef Extract; Silicon Dioxide; Stearic Acid

DOSAGE: 1 tablet every 30 lbs of body weight
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Jul 23, '13 8:17pm PST 
Yeah, I know that trying one thing at a time would be best, but unfortunately I have to have her on the Rimadyl just for her to function normally and I'm a little anxious to get her off of that if at all possible.

I'm going to stay with the Traumeel for a while longer and see what happens. The Green Lipped Mussel supplement arrived today, so I have to double-check the dosage and then decide when to start her on that one.

We finally got a chance to go swimming yesterday and I'm going to have to figure out a way to swim her regularly. We did overdo it a little, but she had a blast and is still a force to be reckoned with in the water!
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 12:40pm PST 
It took me awhile but I finally found it. The full article costs $20.00 to read but the abstract is free.

Study comparing effectiveness of Zeel and Carprofen (Rymadil) - results showed Zeel was comparable to Rymadil but with no side effects.

-------------------------------------------------------- -

Effectiveness of the Homeopathic Preparation Zeel Compared with Carprofen in Dogs with Osteoarthritis

Stephan Neumann, DVM, Pelle Stolt, PhD, Gabriele Braun, DVM, Klaus Hellmann, DVM and Erich Reinhart, DVM

Journal of the American Animal Hospital Association
http://www.jaaha.org/content/47/1/12.abstract

The authors compared the symptomatic effectiveness of a complex homeopathic preparation Zeel (1–3 tablets orally per day depending on body weight) to carprofen (4 mg/kg body weight) in dogs (n=68) aged >1 yr diagnosed with osteoarthritis in a multicenter, prospective, observational open-label cohort study in 12 German veterinary clinics. The active treatment period was 56 days. Symptomatic effectiveness, lameness, stiffness of movements, and pain on palpation were evaluated by treating veterinarians and owners. Clinical signs of osteoarthritis improved significantly (P < 0.05) at all time points (days 1, 28, and 56) with both therapies. At the end of the treatment period, effectiveness was comparable in both groups. Both treatment regimens were well tolerated with only three treatment-related adverse events, all in the carprofen group.

Edited by author Wed Jul 31, '13 12:43pm PST

[notify]

Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 11:23pm PST 
THANK YOU!!! way to go
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Jul 31, '13 11:29pm PST 
I also just found this one: Evaluating Complementary Therapies for Canine Osteoarthritis

Slightly different results, but still showing that Zeel is effective.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Tue Aug 13, '13 12:51pm PST 
A quick update....the GLM appears to be doing the trick!! way to go (or a combo of that and the rest of the supps)

We did 12 days of a 2000mg/day loading dose and now we're on 1000mg/day.

No more Rimadyl needed for regular day-to-day activities (on-leash walks, playing, training etc.). Only bigger exercise days (off-leash in the woods) requires a 1/4 tablet of Rimadyl afterwards, and I'm okay with that as she needs to stretch her legs and explore (I consider that a quality of life thing for this girl). smile
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 26)  
1  2  3