GO!

Edibal bones. Whole cuts. Old dogs. Bad teeth. Safety tips.

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Tesla-Troope- r

Overly happy,- spastic, loving- girl

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 7:39am PST 
I have a couple different questions. The first one is I read the Beginners Guide to Prey Model Raw. It kind of confused me because it said that don't feed cut bones(pg 20). Which makes sense. But I might be having a dumb moment but it seems to me any bone bought would be cut up because the butcher would have to break up the animal.

Perhaps another dumb question but it was talking about whole cuts, what exactly does it mean by a whole cut? I just want to make sure my understanding of certain words is proper so when I start I can feed my dogs right!

I have older dogs, my oldest dog is 12.5, Tesla. Is it to late to switch them, more specifically her, over? Is there anything that would be hazardous for them, for example would Tesla's teeth be more apt to break cause she is so old?

My Daisy girl who is a beagle came to us with some abscess teeth and had to have them removed, is this going to be a problem switching her over? She has bad teeth in general, do you think this raw diet may improve her teeth health? I'm concerned if she goes on as is she might lose all her teeth! I've tried everything the vet has recommended, and still no luck.

Are there any safety tips that may be of some help? I read a whole bunch on that guide, but I figure never hurts to ask more people!
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 8:12am PST 
Chicken bones are great because they are softer and smaller. My dog Hank was 10 weeks when he started on raw, with those tiny puppy teeth and he had no problem eating chicken wings. Chicken legs and thighs are good. Hank can eat those pretty fast. I give him pork bones occasionally (they are his favorite but a little pricey at times) he doesn't get beef bones to often as he's smaller and really can't eat them down to well so he'll chew on one recreationally once in awhile...
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 8:37am PST 
Mostly avoid chop or steak bones that are sliced, sharp and small. Rib bones are cut at both ends but the middle is whole. Roast bones are the same and fine.

If you think bones would be hard for your dogs then try out the bones in chicken breast first removing the keel bone. I also like chicken backs, bigger than necks and very thin soft bone. Max sounds like me eating crunchy candy when he gets chicken ribs.

Buy meats as large as you can, whole roasts rather than chops or steaks. They are cheaper anyway and the larger the bit of meat or meaty bone offered the more respect the dog will give it. Ground meat is fine if it is in the budget and chuck roast isn't but it is more likely to be super fatty and higher in bacteria. You have to remove the bone from chops and steaks but could give the bones from roasts to the dogs so more wasteful as well as more expensive.

Max is 13 years old now and been eating raw for 5 years. He completely eats any chicken, turkey, rabbit and fish bone but just gnaws the softer ends from pork, beef and lamb bones and I throw a lot of bone away. I never ever offer the super hard leg bones from beef. Much of the time he eats chicken ribs as we buy bone in chicken breast and bone it at home. Virtually free bone! The rest of his food is pork and beef at the moment.

Main safety tip is size. Offer food that is about the size of your dog's skull so it has to be chomped up before swallowing. Smaller may go down unchomped. Early on Max swallowed a chicken neck whole and it went through fine but nearly unchanged. He has also swallowed a chicken wing and chunk of pork without sufficient chomping and they wouldn't stay down so he had to regurgitate them and do over. He didn't want to but I insisted - no wasting dinner around here! So chicken wings and necks were off the menu for a while and I cut chunks into Z or W shapes so they were harder to swallow without some chomping. Now he does just fine on smaller stuff as he isn't in such a rush to get dinner down.
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 2:54pm PST 
Dink our old dog got chicken quarters, chicken feet and turkey necks at age of 14 as once week treat.. She is a catahoula mix she also had bad teeth.

About when she was close to age 16 she couldn't eat whole bone due to her teeth. I did give her tiny bit of ground meat and liver, kidney once week with her kibble since ground meat and organs was easier for her she only got tiny of organs..

If teeth are really bad feeding grinds for those dogs is possible some grinders can grind certain chicken parts.. I dunno which is best to get.

Chicken necks, breast, and backs are pretty soft. Coarse if dog is big don't give chicken neck as the dog might swallow it whole.
[notify]
Sassy

Princess and the- Pea

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 5:10pm PST 
When Sassy was 16 years old she stopped wanting to chew on raw beef rib bones so I *had* to go to BBQ places and was forced to get beef ribs for me and then I gave her the bones. It was horrible.laugh out loud She did a great job of stripping the soft stuff off and then was done. She still took cooked chicken bones out of the trash can right in front of me when I was boning her stewed chicken and chewed those up though. Had to let her. Phosphorus bombs those bones were, had to give her a tummy ache after since she had kidney disease but had to let the old girl have a garbage raid like the bad old days.
[notify]
Tesla-Troope- r

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 6:58pm PST 
What do you guys mean by "boning"? :=)
[notify]
Tesla-Troope- r

Barked: Mon Jun 10, '13 7:03pm PST 
Thank you everyone for your help!:=)
[notify]