GO!

Raw for cats

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Tesla-Troope- r

Overly happy,- spastic, loving- girl

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 7:00am PST 
I know that this is dogster but I saw someone post a topic for kittens(Which I figured would have different needs than an adult and senior cat), so I figured it wouldn't hurt to post about cats.

I'm super new to this raw food diet, I've tried to look into it in the past but I never found enough information to actually do the switch. To anyone who has info I would like information on how to balance the diet properly, what's dangerous to them. Or really anything having to do with the diet. In addition I have a cat with a severally enlarged heart and a mid grade heart murmur. So, information on nutrition for a cat with that would be great too. Information on the pros and if there's any cons to raw. Also, my cats are super picky eaters, any advice on how to get them to switch and what foods would be better for picky eaters?
[notify]
Egypt

Can I play with- the ratz?

Barked: Sat Jun 8, '13 10:59am PST 
I cant speak about kittens, but I switched my adult cat to raw when he was 13 years old. He absolutely loved it! Try a few pieces to see if your babies will eat it.
[notify]
Aina- Aloysius de- LeMaitre

work hard, play- hard

Barked: Sun Jun 9, '13 11:25am PST 
You will have to check out Catster or speak to a vet who can counsel you regarding nutritional therapy beyond the kibble they sell in their front office. Cats' dietary needs are different than dogs. Basically, they are significantly more carnivore than omnivore. And then it gets more specific beyond there. Even transitioning cats from one food to another can be a completely different challenge than it is with a dog. We successfully transitioned four different cats from crappy kibble to homemade raw. Each had its own health condition to be addressed nutritionally. All were far more healthy on their specific raw diets than with anything else.

As for a heart condition being addressed nutritionally, that approach can be powerful. I was diagnosed with early stage dilated cardiomyopathy and was treated using an allopathic approach as well as complimentary medicine. A big part of the treatment was nutritional therapy. Prior to this diagnosis, I got raw meat organs with my cooked meals but no particular focus on which organs. After the DCM diagnosis, my main raw organ meat was heart. Needless to say, all organs were from the highest quality sources available (grass fed, local, organic, etc). From a TCM perspective, one eats where one is lacking. So if my weak organ is heart, that is what I need to eat more of. If we look at the nutrients in heart meat, we see that components supportive for the heart (like taurine) are in high concentration. My heart condition actually improved over a year's time, based on repeated diagnostics. I don't know the cause of your heart condition or its treatment but nutritional therapy could be a powerful tool for you. It was for me!
[notify]