GO!

Raw Diet Food Frequency

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Stout

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 8:14am PST 
Hi Everyone-

First time posting here- I joined because I recently switched Stout (english bulldog, 10 months old) to a raw diet (chicken) from his previous kibble diet. He exhibited a few different symptoms which pointed to a food allergy including increased facial acne (despite regularly cleaning), hair loss/bald spots, increased ear wax production and increased tear production, along with a general disinterest in his kibble (he was voraciously hungry a few months ago).

Anyway- we experienced some stomach acid issues previously with Stout and were told to keep some food in his belly in order to avoid vomiting. Since switching to raw food, he has experienced diarrhea (to be expected, I've read). In order to try and ease the impact on his stomach, I've been only feeding him once a day. As a result, his stomach acid issues have come up again and he's vomited yellow bile a few times in the past 2 days.

My question is- what are people seeing in terms of effective meal frequency for new raw diet dogs?

Thanks!
[notify]
Elvis Pawsly-

The king.

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 8:56am PST 
my two 10 month dalmatians have been fed raw for 15 days now. we were on raw before but had to stop. once I've done more research everything was good. They are healthier on raw than kibble, soft, shiny coat, white teeth, more energy ( who would think that way even possible with a 10 month?) smaller stools. and if I forget to pick up the yard no problem!! the stools pretty much dissolve themselves. love it. when we started on raw Elvis had a bad yeast infection from stopping kibble, It cleared up after a week on raw. we were feeding home cooked food before the raw. I'll never go back to the kibble again smile
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 9:47am PST 
Hank eats a total of a pound a day and I break it into 2-1/2lb meals (morning and evening). Since you are starting on chicken are you including bone? That should help with the diarrhea. Some dogs can't handle just one large meal a day. Hank needs two meals to avoid vomiting bile, 2 works for us. Once he adjusts to chicken and his stools firm up you can move to small amounts of beef, pork, organs etc. I feed Hank bone every other day, kidneys on Monday and liver on Thursday then salmon here and there for the omega....
[notify]

Dozer

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 10:55am PST 
What exactly are you feeding your dog? You can't just say "chicken". Is it a chicken carcass? Legs, backs, thighs? Does he get organ meat? Are you including veggies in the diet or have you decided against that?? Please be more specific. My Bullmastiff can't eat a lot of poultry, mostly red meat with a turkey neck here and there, no chicken at all and he is just fine (I think he has a chicken allergy as well.) Make sure you are feeding a balanced diet high in red meat, that will help tonnes.
[notify]
Dozer

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 10:56am PST 
Also, sorry I feed him twice a day. He puked up that yellow bile when I fed him raw at first, but I just had to feed him a little bit more and he is fine until his next meal now.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 11:15am PST 
Max was a horrible bile vomiter on kibble, even with bedtime snacks he would regularly wake us up early in the morning. On raw he does better than great eating once a day with just a couple bile vomits in a 5.5 year period but I kept him eating twice a day for quite a while due to his long history of bile vomiting. That twice a day was ridiculous, some days the second meal would be a couple ounces of boneless meat. Since Sassy was eating twice a day I just got out a couple small treats and played with him while she ate and to my surprise he was just fine.

On that yahoo raw feeding list they insist that dogs start secreting bile in anticipation of a meal so mixing up mealtimes is a good idea. Don't feed at a set time, change it around a little. Earlier would work better than later. If he always wants dinner at 6pm then feed him at 5:30 some days. Then some days give him dinner at 5:30 and a snack at 8pm and another day give him a snack at 6pm and the rest at 8pm. I know most people do have a set breakfast as they have to get out of the house but you could try to mix up the evening meal to see if things change. Maybe they will, maybe they won't.

And agree, what are you giving him? Just chicken is great for starting out but do use meaty pieces if his system is up to it and start another protein as soon as his poop is good.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 12:59pm PST 
We started out feeding Crash 2 times a day, he was 4 months when we started RAW.
At about 8 months or so, we moved to 1 meal a day. After he was a year old we would occasionally do a FAST / GORGE.

I can't really say whats going to be best for your dog. Each dog is different. Sure, we had some mishaps, puking, runs, constipation, etc. but it's been almost 5 years and we would never feed kibble. It's been worth it.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:38pm PST 
My dog is on raw and also use to have this problem with kibble, but with raw I feed him every 6 hours and his stomach never gets sick because it never gets empty .i tried feeding sandy every 6 hours on kibble but he wouldn't eat kibble every 6 hours.
[notify]
Stout

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 3:41pm PST 
Thanks for the responses everyone.

To be more specific, I am feeding Stout a mixture of chicken breast/thighs/drumsticks - no bones. I hold onto the drumsticks and let him gnaw at them, and with the thighs I basically butcher them and remove the bone. Stout is still learning to chew, and I dont have a meat grinder so I don't really want to introduce whole bones at this point. I'm trying to minimize the amount of change in his diet, isolating variables such that I can troubleshoot more easily.

His stools are still very soft and scant, and he's not really drinking almost any water - but I've read that the water content of raw food is much greater than kibble, so this isnt unusual.

It is a bit overwhelming a few days in to have so much change in eating behavior in such a short time. I think we'll stick to a few (2 or 3) small feedings to avoid any sour stomach and let him adjust to raw.

On a side note, Stout just got his first cherry eye today frown I was able to massage it back into place, but it gave me a good scare. I thought he might be having a reaction to the food!

What a week.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Thu Jun 6, '13 4:21pm PST 
Hank drinks very little water too unless he plays hard or we come back from a walk. You could add in about a tsp of crushed egg shells to some meals for the calcium and to firm up this stools, you can give him the raw egg while you're at it for the nutrients...
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2