GO!

Trouble discussing raw diet with vet?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Benjamin

I EAT IT!

Barked: Fri May 31, '13 11:57pm PST 
I actually work for a veterinarian that is my dogs' primary care physician. I have found myself not being taken seriously when I bring up my dogs' diets and the benefits of raw food. I am wondering if I should seek out the opinion of a holistic veterinarian to ensure I have the resources to healthfully maintain my dogs' diets. Any thoughts?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jun 1, '13 7:29am PST 
I did a huge amount of work into learning what my dog needs and what I am putting into my dog. If you can throw around calcium/phosphorus/zinc/iron mg, names of fatty acids and such they will back down as clearly you know what needs to go into the diet. I can compare Max's diet to NRC and kibble and his raw can be spot on NRC where kibble can be scary off what I want to give him. The spreadsheet on this thread can help.
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/491589

The romantic evolutionary wild dog diet thing won't fly with anybody a bit science minded accurate though it can be. We are usually piecing together a frankenprey which is missing half of the actual prey animal. Unless you feed heads, blood, fur/feathers and all the guts you don't stand a chance of convincing them your dog is getting what is needed. Whole prey works if you are offering it, show them this page.
http://www.rodentpro.com/qpage_articles_03.asp
[notify]
Barbaro

Barked: Fri Jun 7, '13 7:49pm PST 
I also work at a veternarian who doesn't recommend the raw diet. But after my dogs health issues he and I decided it was worth a try. Now a few months later my dog is doing great and I find all the vets are asking me questions about it to become more informed. Sorry to hear you don't have the same support.
[notify]