GO!

Partial RAW?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2  
Bullie

Barked: Fri May 3, '13 8:29am PST 
My advice:

If you're going to go with kibble, get a good quality complete kibble diet and feed it exclusively. Kibbles are designed to be a complete diet (except for things like veterinary formula designed to address specific health issues) therefore, deviating from this diet upsets the kibble's nutritional balance.

If you're going to go with raw, then go for raw. Raw food requires a different set of enzymes in the dog's stomach to process the food and having to switch between kibble and raw requires your dog switch enzymes back and forth which puts added stress to the pancreas (hence the upset stomach for those dogs like English Bulldogs that tend to have weaker immune systems). Mixing raw and kibble in the stomach poses even bigger problems so spacing out the food is needed and kibble digests slower than raw so the schedule gets to account for it.

If you're just going to do kibble then have raw for occasional treats then okay. If you're going to do raw and give kibble for occasional treats then okay. Unless you got something like an English Bulldog, then maybe not even then.

In any case, having 2 English Bulldogs have taught me that dogs can eat garbage and live 15 years but then there's really no reason to have to do this. We control what the dog eats and I just don't find any reason to mix raw and kibble. There are excellent kibbles out there. But for those who want a paleolithic method, there's raw. Mixing the two doesn't make sense.

Edited by author Fri May 3, '13 8:29am PST

[notify]
Zoe

Take me to the- River!

Barked: Sat May 4, '13 3:52am PST 
It was too hard for us to continue feeding all raw, between cost and finding all the corect ingrediants. We feed grain free dog food for the morning meal and raw for the evening meal and never had a problem with it. I limit the bone to maybe every 2 weeks. I think you need to know your dog, and what works for some dogs might not work for other dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 12)  
1  2