GO!

Partial RAW?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Ranger

Stranger Danger- Rescue Ranger is- ready!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 11:05am PST 
I've been reading over all the RAW positive comments not just here but all over the internet.

I do not think I am in a place yet to be able to feed raw, but is there a possibility of including some raw feeding into a kibble diet...or are you just going to be looking at upset tummies all the time? I would love to be able to give my dog chicken and bone or other items as treat meals throughout the week, but not if it'll only cause him problems.

So much information out there
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 11:22am PST 
Hi!

I used to be a predominantly raw feeder when i had just jake. He ate about 7lbs of meat a week + organs and some other stuff like bone. After getting sweet caroline i couldn't afford raw for both. So now they eat a kibble diet 3-4x a week and the remaining days are boneless or sometimes bone in raw meat. Usually chicken breasts or ground beef.

You can use raw like topper a first. A meat ball size of ground beef or half a chicken breast. whatever. Your dog should be fine.

When i first introduced Jake to raw I used to mix raw ground beef or ground chicken (hadn't gotten over the bone phobia yet) with his kibble and some pumpkin.

Currently jake's earned the name Garbage disposal. big grin He eats whatever i throw in his bowl which can be cooked, raw, left overs big grin you name it ;D and he does fine.

Good luck trying out raw big grin
[notify]
Ranger

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 11:45am PST 
That sounds like something that we can possibly try starting out. Ranger doesn't seem to have a sensitive tummy (except when he ate 2 cups of wheat cat litter red face )and loves eating veggies, etc that I offer while cooking.

I seem to remember avian bones being bad for dogs...was that a fallacy now with more study or is it when they're cooked they are bad? If I just give him a breast or whatever with the bones in it, will he manage ok?
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 11:46am PST 
It depends on the individual dog. Most dogs are fine with mixing food types together. Every once in a while one pops up that can't handle it.
You'll never know if you don't try.

Anywho, I feed half and half all the time. One of my dogs is on full-time whole foods, but the mixes get half and half. Sometimes as separate meals but usually mixed together. Never had an issue doing it that way.
I'll mix in some type of meat, mainly beef and pork (since that's what I've currently got) and sometimes I'll give them a chicken leg or chunk of turkey neck. I also give them liver fairly frequently so that everything evens out.
They also get eggs, yogurt, pizza crusts, and all sorts of other leftovers. Leftovers make up about 20% of their diet.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 12:15pm PST 
yeah they should be find handling a chicken breast. But i would give a chicken quarter if you're going to introduce bone. Since they may try to gobble it down instead of chewing. I had to teach jake how to chew with a pair of vice grips and a chicken quarter.

There are some good dogster posts about it. I'll go bump them for you.
[notify]
Ranger

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 12:15pm PST 
Yeah, Ranger tends to get the pizza crusts and leftovers that we have too...

I will start looking for inexpensive meat to start adding to his meals.

Also, when you guys feed eggs....do you just give them a whole egg, as in still able to roll around?
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 12:26pm PST 
I crack the egg for them and smush up the shell if I give that to them. Usually not though, they normally just get the egg insides.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 1:31pm PST 
I would only feed one meal with edible bone a week. Kibble is already far higher in calcium and phosphorus than most dogs need. There is some reason that is so but just feeding something like chicken quarters would be adding 3x the calcium and phosphorus needed, don't really want to do that. Stick to offering egg, boneless meat and a tiny bit of organ the rest of the time. Bony fish would be fine but not super bony fish heads. Of course you can offer a big meaty bone that is intended to be stripped clean as part of the meat. Those meals are more expensive as you are paying for bone that will be thrown away but they are the ones that do the best job cleaning teeth.

And start small. You would rather learn that 1 ounce of raw pork is okay and 3 is not by seeing a change in stool than have a huge blow out after offering 6 ounces of pork right off. Mix one egg with some water and split between dogs. A sliver of liver.
[notify]
Ranger

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 1:45pm PST 
I will definitely start off slow and watch him outside...he isn't a really big pooper now (well, for a dog on kibble, you guys would probably be shocked at the amount). I just feel that if I had to eat kibbled food day in and out it would get veryyyyy boring.
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 CL4- OAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 2:13pm PST 
Good for you for at least supplimenting!
Addie is mostly raw, but does get kibble now and then ( Orijen).

I certainly feel whole foods are much better than processed foods for an entire lifetime, human, canine or otherwise. Theres been numberous studies to show natural source vitamins offer protection from diseases ( no known protection from synthetics) and are better absorbed than synthetic versions, which is what is in kibble. I have nothing against kibble, but when I can feed raw, I do smile

Edited by author Wed May 1, '13 2:14pm PST

[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2