GO!

Dried green tripe

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 10:14pm PST 
Does dried green tripe (like the kind sold as treats) offer most of the same benefits as fresh/frozen, or does the drying process remove most of the digestive enzymes/probiotics?

ETA: Also, what about canned?

Edited by author Tue Apr 30, '13 10:15pm PST

[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Apr 30, '13 11:00pm PST 
If it's ever been frozen the probiotics have been killed. I don't know what the drying process would do to it, but if it got warm enough they'd probably die too. Canning... If it's high pressure processed then they are probably dead. If it's cooked they are probably dead.

I don't know about the enzymes though, I haven't done much research on that stuff.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 3:24pm PST 
Ah. So even raw green tripe isn't really a viable source of probiotics. The raw green tripe I buy has been frozen before it even gets to me for shipping, and I can't very well keep several dozen pounds of the stuff without freezing it.

Kind of makes me wonder if it's really the miracle food it's touted as then thinking I mean, he loves it for sure, but I'd always read it was such a great source of probiotics and digestive enzymes. If that's only true if it's never been frozen, it's not going to be useful in that way for most people. Would be interesting to know for sure about the enzymes.

Edited by author Wed May 1, '13 3:43pm PST

[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 4:21pm PST 
Not sure. sorry. Even if it's all hype if you can get it for nice price feed it, but I don't think it's needed..

I know someone who says feeding only green tripe is fine for a dog, but to me that seems lacking in some things..
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed May 1, '13 9:53pm PST 
Yeah, I'm not planning to stop feeding it. Pretty sure even if it has lost its probiotics and digestive enzymes, it's still nutrient rich and of course it adds variety.

I've also heard the claim that it's so perfect you could feed nothing but green tripe and have a healthy dog. I was dubious of that, too. Kind of like that school project where you were supposed to figure out what food you could subsist exclusively on and the answer was there wasn't one.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu May 2, '13 7:32am PST 
I seen dehydrated or dried green tripe sold as treats wished I had bought it.. Local stores doesn't sell it. Saya and Bella loves caned tripe and raw tripe.

Caned is coarse cooked, but I get it from time to time as nice snack.
[notify]