GO!

Roundworms and Tapeworms caused by raw?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 2:51pm PST 
My Lab has been eating a raw diet (when available) for about 2 years. Recently she got both roundworms and tapeworms. Our (closest) vet is 6 hours away and sent out Sentinel/Interceptor to take care of the roundworm but we drove in to get the injection for tapeworm. She said we have to stop giving her raw food because it's how she got worms. All her meats are frozen prior to feeding (that's also what she prefers - frozen) and it's all meats we eat, too. All fish is from the Atlantic, no Pacific (mostly cod and capelin). She also eats moose, seal, rabbit, and chicken. Is it common for raw-fed dogs to get worms? Has anyone else had an issue with worms while on raw? I am being pressured to quit on the raw and I don't really want to, but we can't be making trips to the vet for tapeworm injections if it keeps happening. Please help.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 3:06pm PST 
No worms here. Ever in Max, one time Sassy got a tapeworm from fleas.

Unless the worms were identified your vet cannot be sure they came from the meat. Dogs are generally infected with roundworms by the mother and the most common tapeworm comes from eating fleas. A dog shouldn't get infected eating actual adult worms as they all have a complex life cycle involving several larval stages and often more than one host. The eggs released by the adult tapeworm must be eaten by larval fleas and the adult flea eaten by the dog for a dog to be infected for example. Of course there are worms in meat, trich is the one we all know best but freezing long and hard kills most of them.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 4:02pm PST 
No your dog isn't going to get worms from raw, unless he was eating whole prey straight out of the wild.

He can get worms from eating poop (of all animals), fleas, mosquitoes, and some just by walking on the ground (I think that one is hookworm).
If he's been eating raw for 2 years with no problem, then I'd just chalk this up to one of those 'things' that comes with owning a dog.
[notify]

Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 8:45pm PST 
4 1/2 years on RAW, no worms. Not sure why your dog got them. Environmental?
[notify]
Maggie

Born to Run

Barked: Sat Apr 27, '13 8:57pm PST 
Not sure, either. I read some tapeworms are carried by rabbits (and other small animals/rodents). It's possible she's been around rabbit poo in the woods. Maybe that's how. Possible she has fleas, tho she hardly ever scratches/bites. I'm not convinced it's from the raw diet...just have to convince the hubby! thinking
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 8:45am PST 
I'm in vet tech school and that is simply ridiculous, round worms are in dog poop they are species specific dogs can only get them from other dogs. Tapeworms could possibly be from rabbits, fleas, cow, or sheep but freezing kills them also they r in the stomach omentum which is what covers the stomach so just don't feed stomach contents. Overwhelmingly tapeworms r from fleas. If u are curious about which tapeworm it is bring in a fresh proglottid( the white things in the poop) they can examine it to see.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 12:28pm PST 
Been feeding raw since 2009 and none of the dogs have gotten worms from it yet.

Like others have said, I think that's generally only a concern with wild whole prey. And since kibble fed dogs get worms from time to time too, your vet has no way of definitively knowing the worms came from raw meat. Some vets use raw as a scapegoat for just about anything, even if other explanations are more plausible.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Sun Apr 28, '13 1:24pm PST 
Chance had a tapeworm years before she ever ate raw and she never had a flea problem. All it takes is for 1 infected flea to jump on an animal and be eaten for the animal to become infected.
[notify]