GO!

Monthly Diarrhea on Raw

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 10:51pm PST 
So my 2.5 year old pembroke welsh corgi has been on the raw diet for about 6 months now, but every 3 or 4 weeks he gets a bad case of diarrhea. It lasts about 3 or 4 days and then he's fine again, but every time we feel like we have to start over, and can never add variety to his meals. He's eating mostly 2/3rd of chicken quarter a day with a small scoop of coconut oil, and reading up chicken's probably not the best.

Can someone please help me? Anyone experience anything similar? I don't want to revert back to kibble, but I feel so bad for the little guy.
[notify]
Ginger- Mystic and- Pixie

What trouble can- we get into- today?

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 6:30am PST 
have you just been feeding chicken for 6 months? I would stop the chicken and coconut oil as he could be reacting to them.
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 9:51am PST 
a human only needs 1 tablespoon of coconut oil a day (they don't really need it, but that's the recommended amount) any more then that you're asking for trouble.

I don't think dogs need coconut oil. And like the guy before me posted, are you feeding more then just chicken?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 5:22pm PST 
Yes, he's eating like 90% chicken. Our problem is right when we're about to give him a different meat like beef or pork, he gets his diarrhea episode, and everywhere I look it says to start with chicken...

We tried given him organ meat a few times, but that has always lead to diarrhea, even in small amounts...
[notify]
Obi

Sassy Britches!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 6:21pm PST 
If you give too much coconut oil, your pup will get the runs. Mine likes his teeth brushed with a little coconut oil instead of doggie toothpaste. No more than a teaspoon really. blue dog
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 6:50pm PST 
Why is he getting diarrhea? Getting into something? Some stress that happens periodically? Or is it when you put in a bite of new protein for a bite of the chicken?
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Thu Apr 25, '13 7:10pm PST 
This may not be a popular answer, but have u considered buying frozen Stella and chewys premade raw patties? They r balanced raw meals. They suggest rotating proteins every 4-6 weeks. Their website has alot of information www.stellaandchewys.com they also have a phone number and will talk to u about it. My dog does great on it and he use to be sick all the time.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 6:00am PST 
I'd stop the coconut oil. He needs a more rounded raw diet. You should throw some beef in their (wean him onto it in small amounts) and an organ like liver (again, weaned onto it in small amounts) chicken alone isn't meeting all his nutritional needs. My beagle mix has ground beef most day with chicken legs or thighs every other day, liver on Mondays and kidney on Thursdays then a raw egg or salmon once or twice week....
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 9:52am PST 
I am with Sandy, try weaning him to pre made raw then to prey model. That will take a lot of the pressure off you both.

I introduced organs in really minute amounts. I took a daily sized bit, .5 ounce of liver for Max, freeze it and shaved as small as I could - at least 10 bits. He got one a day then two and so on. Repeated the process with the other regular organs. If one organ is a problem then drop it and go to the next and try that one later. Once he was on a regular raw diet I didn't have to go so slowly, he could handle a new liver at full ration or a new meat at half a meal right away. A lot less tedious than having to start over again! Do the same for new meats and try really lean ones like beef round and pork loin rather than chuck or shoulder.
[notify]
Meridian

Proud to be a- kitchen wolf!!!

Barked: Fri Apr 26, '13 10:51pm PST 
Are we talking uncontrollable liquid or just soft regular poos? I don't mean to second-guess you, I'm just trying to gauge the situation. I'm not saying it couldn't be due to food, but if you've got a diarrhea situation every month or so on what almost seems like a schedule, I might take a closer look at what's going on. Did he have any digestive system trouble on his former diet or did these things start when you started raw?

Like the others suggested, the first thing I'd cut out would be the coconut oil. It's not entirely species appropriate, and might be causing upset. I, as a human, tried supplementing with coconut oil and I learned that if I take more than about a half a teaspoon of the stuff even with food I get awful heartburny sensations. I probably weigh about 5 to 7 times what your Corgi does! This makes much more sense than chicken being the problem.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2