GO!

The bad sides of raw feeding?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 3:18pm PST 
Hi!

I was thinking on this,what things do you think can be cataloged as "the bad side of raw feeding"?

Like,for example,you should definitely get a freezer if you want to get the most of it.

Some dogs like to run off with meat.

Doggy breath smells HORRIBLE when you say hi to another dog on kibble.....same for poop.

if you are squeamish...uhhhh...gewt ready.

And there are some other pints. for me the only problem so far is the inconsistent poop,but that will be over once the transition of new proteins is done.

we already had a massive freezer cause the fridge was full. my dogs eat on towels,and even seem uncomfy without them.

Doggy breath from other dogs...and the poop from my cat..oh the smells....and those when Terry had a new protein and i made a mistake...uff...
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 3:24pm PST 
U haven't had any bad side effects. But I'm feeding premade raw and so they probably have the ratios all figured out for me. Sandy is an Italian greyhound and they have bad teeth so I brush his teeth 3 times a week so his breath doesn't smell. The good side effect is sandy isn't sick anymore so I'm saving money at the vet!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 4:35pm PST 
Depending on your area, the suppliers you can find, and storage space, raw can be more expensive than kibble. In many cases you do save money in the long run via reduced vet bills, but that's no help if you can't afford the initial costs.

It's more time consuming than kibble (portioning/freezing meat, defrosting, preparing meals, cleaning, ect.).

Some dogs get possessive with raw.
[notify]

Terry

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 5:14pm PST 
I introduced Terry since he was two months old,and i slowly taught him i either trade with him,or just ask nicely for his food. none of them are really aggressive at all,only warning off each other. so,the possessiveness its more of an issue on training/trading than anything else. It does take time,thawing the portions and once or twice a week,organize everything.

Here,a bag of 15 lb of dog food would be 41 dollars,and that is also the cost of getting meat on the supermarket,buying in bulk for three weeks.

How fast your dog goes true a bag of kibble?

i had two big adult dogs and they ate 15 lb's in a week. feeding twice a day.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Tue Apr 23, '13 5:52pm PST 
I've never fed my dog kibble, so I have no idea how much he would eat. Although I imagine the amount would vary widely depending on the quality of the kibble anyway.

I was merely listing common downsides to raw, as I thought that was the question. I didn't say any of those things applied specifically to myself or my dog.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 3:48am PST 
Hmm, downsides? My freezer (16 cubic feet) is not big enough laugh out loud

People's negative reactions. "Your dog eats WHAT?" "Won't that make them vicious?" "Bones will kill them, ya know." "They'll get salmonella!" "Dogs aren't designed to eat raw meat." Amongst other things...

Farts. This might not apply to everyone's dogs, but my Shiba has the WORST farts when he eats certain meats.

Raw barf. This is seriously disgusting. At least on kibble it's like, gross mush. On raw? It's like rotten death.

Cost. When I don't get free stuff, I can't feed all three dogs raw. Meat isn't too expensive in my area, but a 40 pound bag of Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete goes for $35 and lasts both 50 pound mutts two months. Raw costs me $20-30 a month for one 25 pound Shiba.
[notify]
Oscar

Canis Angelicus

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 6:17am PST 
For me its cost. I am feeding a close to 200 lb mastiff and my two main suppliers have dried up (for now) for different reasons, so I have had to rely on store meat and ordering online. Having said that, if he wasn't on raw, I would likely be spending more on pre-made or something like Ziwipeak. I think I am paying around $200 a month on meat for Oscar at the moment. shock
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 6:38am PST 
A lot of boarding places do not provide refrigeration for dog food and will not board a dog unless the dog will eat kibble.
[notify]
Jewel, PCD

8.6lbs of fury- in a bow!

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 7:40am PST 
I swear the good food it making Jewel's nails grow thicker and faster. silenced
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Apr 24, '13 9:09am PST 
Jewel, I wouldn't be at all surprised. Ferrets on a raw diet need their nails clipped about twice as often as kibble fed. Stands to reason it could be the same for dogs.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2