GO!

Organs in raw diet?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Lily

I will use my- cuteness to- persuade you!

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 3:05pm PST 
I am feeding my puppy on a raw diet (60% meat, 20% tripe, 10% offal), nine weeks (she is now five months. For the organs (offal), I have only been feeding liver (some advice I probably shouldn't have taken)... I realize I should be feeding other organs, and as soon as I can I want to pick some up, but what should I look for?

Thanks smile
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 3:13pm PST 
Your pup's gettin bones, right? If not, you need to add some NOW.
Tripe counts as meat. Heart and gizzards are meat. Lung is meat.
Organs are kidney, spleen, testicles, pancreas, thymus, and other secreting things.
[notify]
Lily

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 5:37pm PST 
I totally messed up.. oops.

It's, 60% meat, 20% tripe, 10% bone and 10% offal.

Someone gave me this formula.. Can you suggest a better one?

Also, what organs are absolutely nessesary if I cannot find all that?
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 5:54pm PST 
Ah that looks better smile

Liver is basically the only essential organ (in my opinion that is). I cannot get any of the other organs, so I just use that.
It is entirely possible to feed a balanced diet without the other organs. Kidneys are pretty good though, that is one I would really like to add in. The others do provide some good stuff, but there are other ways to get those nutrients in the diet if you cannot get them. It is a good idea to feed as many organs as you can get though.
Adding in heart if you can find it (as a meat) is also good. I like to use heart when I can get it.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Apr 16, '13 8:20pm PST 
Get some variety in livers at least. Beef is seriously high in copper but the other commonly found ones like chicken and pork don't really have enough. A mix of beef and some other liver is really good.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 9:50am PST 
For now that looks good you can transition chicken liver. I rotate between beef and chicken liver..

Beef kidney is other organ and good to give too, but not around in many stores..

Walmart by me used to have it, but not anymore.

Sweetbreads(beef thymus)is another option I can get it for $1.67lb, but some places sell it higher. Only place I can get thymus is from meat processor.

Butcher might be able to help you on things.
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 MBDCh- FM TF3

Take That!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 11:00am PST 
That looks about right although you should be considering tripe as part of the 60% meat category, so in reality you are feeding 80% meat which is correct. I feed the 80% meat, 10% bone, 10% organ (5% of that being liver) ratio, with Kidney, spleen, pancreas or thymus being my usual organs.
[notify]

Take That!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 11:06am PST 
I also wanted to add that for organs I like to use a variety of sources, so i may feed pork kidney one week, beef kidney the next. maybe for liver i will feed chicken liver a few weeks then feed lamb liver or beef liver for a couple weeks. Variety is key.
[notify]
Lily

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 11:32am PST 
I don't have much freezer space, which makes it harder (I get one shelf, lol). I'm about 15, so my dad has to drive me.. (I bet he wishes I fed kibble..)

I somehow make it work though. smile

But anyways.. Thank You everyone!

Edited by author Wed Apr 17, '13 11:33am PST

[notify]

Take That!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 12:02pm PST 
maybe you can check craigslist now and again for a deal on a used freezer in the future. feeding raw usually requires a certain amount of freezer space eventually. my huge freezer i got off craigslist for a awesome deal, right in my home town. Thats great that your family is supporting you feeding raw!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2