GO!

Help! Inconsistant stool with consistant diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Brahman

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 10:07am PST 
(Sorry in advance for the semi graphic nature of my post) My baby has been on the raw diet, cold turkey, for 3 weeks now. No problem with diarrhea thank goodness. I have noticed that his stools are some times firm, some times starts out hard and ends very soft, and some times down right soft (with a mucusy like substance?) His diet does not vary during the day except for the occasional turkey neck to chew on. We follow 80-10-10. Should I be worried? Change something in his diet? Has anyone experienced this? Thank you!
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 7:08pm PST 
Three weeks is very early to be on a complete raw diet of 4-6 proteins and 4-6 different organs. I fed Max for a week on just chicken and a week for each new protein and each organ and that was probably rushing a bit. Pups can move faster but tortoise wins this race! Try cutting the amount of organ fed in half for a few days, suspect that is what is making the uneven consistency happen. Or feed a single organ for a few days to see if you can detect one that needs to be fed more carefully, perhaps his gut is fine with extra beef kidney and not so fine on the precise amount of pork liver he should have on a raw diet, who knows? Feeding easy chicken backs can make for 'nicer' poop than the long bones of that same chicken.

Adding a turkey neck is not nothing, it is a great amount of bony meat. One is usually more food than 38 pound Max needs in one day and about 5 days worth of bone. Use them, they are terrific. But use them as part of the diet, not as a nice chewy. If you want him to have a harder to eat meal try a pig foot if he is okay on pork. They are very tough to eat due to the super tough skin and actually not as fatty and bony as one might think according to USDA.

It is normal for poops to vary quite a bit. Unless each meal is always the same amount of the exact same grind and the dog had exactly the same amount of excitement and exercise poop isn't going to be exactly the same. Maybe not even then especially with a young pup.
[notify]
Brahman

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 8:56am PST 
Thank you for the quick and full response! I should've been clearer in describing his diet- right now the only type of meat is chicken, and the turkey neck it taken away after 15 minutes of chewing on it (although he does get a small amount of the bones down after that time) I will try your suggestion of testing which of the organ meats might be an issue. Thanks Maxwell!!
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 11:22am PST 
Try taking off the skin for today then. As soon as that is fine leave some skin on and once he is fine on bony chicken with all the skin move forward to red meats and then add in organ. Chicken only is a very poor diet, too bony/low in mineral and vitamins!

Max did much better with smaller bones when he started out. So much so it took me a year to try him on drumsticks! Try him on breast quarters and backs rather than leg quarters for a week. You could leave him on them and move to red meat and organ and introduce those long bones later as bone is bone, doesn't matter if they are easy to crunch or not.
[notify]