GO!

Need help in starting prey model diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Tampopo

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 7:18am PST 
Hi everyone, new dog owner here! I had adopted a 4yr old papillon 2 months ago. She was on a diet of kibble and cooked chicken (mixed together) all her life. Last week, I tried out the raw meat diet by giving her kibbles in the morning, and some pieces of raw chicken meat at night. She was quite reluctant to eat the chicken though.

She was pooping okay initially (small and firm), but starting having diarrhea this morning. I stopped her food, but she still went a couple more times. Her energy level is so far still the same.

I don't think it warrants a vet visit YET, especially if it is because of her new diet and my vet isn't very keen on raw. But it still freaks me out.

1. Do I stop raw food and give her her old kibble/cooked chicken meal?

2. Continue half raw half kibble diet?

3. Completely switch to raw? I heard adding some bones can help.

I am so tempted on point 3 after reading all the success stories on how raw food has improved the health of dogs. Anyone with similar experiences? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Edited by author Mon Apr 1, '13 10:20am PST

[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 8:58am PST 
I'd do half and half for a fe wmore days ( kibble AM, raw PM) and get some canned pumpkin t oadd into the raw food in the PM so help wit hthe diarrhea. If shes still reluctant, take a little bit of cooked chicken and add it to the raw. You should be able to get her over to 100% within a week.
Make sure you will be including 10% bone and 10% organ in her diet as part of the prey model as well.
[notify]
Tampopo

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 10:19am PST 
Should I try to feed her a raw chicken wing?
[notify]

Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 6:16pm PST 
My 4 month old puppy started on raw a few weeks ago and wasn't to keen on chicken either so I gave him chicken with the kibble mixed in and he ate it. He also got diarrhea so I gave him a chicken leg. He wasn't sure how to eat it so I cut the chicken off mixed it with kibble then gave it to him, I gave him the leg bone after he ate and he chewed on it and ate it like a regular bone. His poop was much better the next day. He now LOVES all the meat I have offered so far and eats a chicken leg like a champ.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 7:19pm PST 
Max started raw with me substituting bony chicken for cooked chicken and calcium but usually newbies go cold chicken and start with an appropriate amount of bony chicken. For a teeny dog it makes sense to use Cornish Game hens as you can easily cut into small enough meals and the bone is probably softer too.

Your dog likely was still having kibble poop up to the point of loose stool, it takes a couple days for new foods to affect the bowel movements if things are going okay. The main problem with loose stool is dehydration so just make sure she is getting as much water as she can. Remember too much food, too much fat and/or too much organ are common causes of soft poop so weigh food carefully and remove any skin and fat you see for right now as she is having trouble.

Have you seen Chance's primer yet? Might want to look through it.
http://www.chanceslittlewebsite.com/uploads/7/6/9/2/7692088/beg inners_guide_to_prey_model_raw_rv.6.pdf
[notify]
Riversedge- of Chaos- "Erebus"

Barked: Mon Apr 1, '13 7:58pm PST 
Loose stool is normal when switching to a new food. I wouldn't worry about it unless it persists longer than a week or two, but definitely make sure she has enough water.
[notify]
Tampopo

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 4:55am PST 
thank you all! she seems much better today. scared me like poop! :X
[notify]
Ninja PD- SR-1 MBDCh- FM TF3

Take That!

Barked: Tue Apr 2, '13 1:15pm PST 
When switching a new dog to any new diet there is usually a transistion of inconsistant stool in the beginning. I wouldnt warrent a vet visit unless it persists for awhile or you see changes in her behavior. In the beginning i always switch cold turkey, feed nothing of the old diet, and start with bone in chicken witha fair amount of bone to begin. depending on dog i will eventually add more meat then bone and in a few weeks switch to another protein source. All depends on the dog. I wouldnt add pumpkin either. Typically if any of my dogs have loose stool on raw i know that a need to add more bone next meal but other than that if the stool isnt explosive it doesnt worry me if its not always solid.
[notify]
Tampopo

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 6:19am PST 
i gave her a chicken wing today and she was literally jumping and begging for it. funny why she didn't like the meat pieces previously. but i'm also worried how her teeth fares on the bones. i keep touching her teeth to make sure there aren't any loose ones. should i be concerned?
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Wed Apr 3, '13 10:09am PST 
I wouldn't, chicken bones are pretty soft. If anything she woul dbreak or chip a tooth, but very unlikely on chicken. You run into problems when giving 'rec' bones ( beef femuts etc) that are long and hard.. not usually recommended
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2