GO!

hungry,or plaim spoiled?...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Terry

Barked: Sat Mar 30, '13 7:57pm PST 
One of the things that puzxles me the most. My chihuahua. P.J. the thing is,when she was on kibble she would eat,lets say..every now and then,the rest of the time,it was begging because she was hungry. I'm on my tird week going raw and i feed her in the morning,she is 3lb so i should feed her 3% or 8% to fill her. That is about 108 grams. I maje sure she gets full and eats until tired. She has not had any problem with red meat or white or liver,only my puppy had some trouble, to make things easy i just feed them the same protein.

Now the thing. I feed him 3 times a day and when i feed him at night,she seems excited and i give too to check if she eats,but mostly. No. She won't and ends up eating a tiny bit,sometimes. But the thing that drives me crazy,she begs for food if my mom is having dinner....what the F...

Maybe she wants more variety,i gad been feeding mostly chicken,wings and drumsticks cause my puppy got soft stools with the red meat so i will add it slowly. Should i start feeding her more red meat and dif things? Or just feed her in the mornings. Since she is a small breed i thing she can have sugar problems but she had been fine. And what bones can i feed her other than chicken? Beef ones are too hard.

*Please ignore the giant typo. I tend to post from my cellphone and the keyboard has troubles.

Edited by author Sat Mar 30, '13 7:59pm PST

[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 7:20am PST 
With a little dog like a Chihuahua u might try the Stella and chewys frozen raw patties, when I was trying to decide if I wanted to feed them to sandy I stumbled across a Chihuahua forum where people were talking about how their dogs would never eat before but they loved the Stella and chewys. My dog sandy loves them! He is an Italian greyhound so he weighs 11 pounds. The Stella and chewys website has a calculator where u put in your dogs weight and they tell u how many patties to feed. They have all kinds of proteins. Check out the website www.stellaandchewys.com
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 10:26am PST 
Thanks!. but sadly,i don't live in the U.S,so i can't get them D:
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 12:37pm PST 
If her poop is good I would start substituting a bite of the next protein now. If pup is having trouble have you tried taking off the skin or cutting down on the portion size yet?

Max was fed once a day and Sassy ate 3-5 times a day. I would get out a couple cookies and play with him while she ate. Of course he wanted to eat too, her food was just as yummy as his and there was room in his tummy! That may not work for you, your pup may not want to eat if she is having so much fun. Maybe give her that bite of red meat then?

Small dogs can eat any bone large dogs can eat they just won't eat much of it. Max cannot eat all pork or beef bone either so I throw a lot away. It is good to feed stuff like that as long as the dog respects it, way more fun and cleans the teeth better. Max thought he was a mighty wolf and wanted to break beef ribs the way he broke chicken bone so they were off the menu for quite a while. For edible bone you can try rabbit, fish, smaller birds like quail and cornish game hen, small rodents like rats and probably lamb ribs. They would love a chance at beef ribs and any pork/turkey/lamb bone but it won't get completely finished off. Once your dogs are fine on the whole diet do try to feed something big like that at least once a week. Seems wasteful but I give Max bones that get tossed and don't need to buy expensive chews like bully sticks and beef ears any more. That beef rib counts for dinner and fun and costs about $1, same as a 6" bully stick.
[notify]
Vance CGC

You kids g'off- my lawn!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 12:59pm PST 
Sounds like this is a long-standing problem unrelated to raw. She picked and begged on kibble, now she's picking and begging on raw.

Most importantly, is her begging fruitful? She's never going to stop if it is. I feed my guys leftovers and bits from my dinner, but I put it all aside and combine it with their meals later so they don't beg at the table.

Secondly, is she underweight? People tend to get very worried about their dogs not eating enough, but most of the time the dog is a healthy weight or even obese (although I doubt she's obese at only 3lb!) If she's a healthy weight, she is getting enough food. If she's a healthy weight and literally not eating, have her checked for a medical issue (like thyroid) or examine her routine to see if she's getting food elsewhere.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 3:07pm PST 
Sandy hated eating when he ate kibble it was like I as punishing him when i fed him and I tried all kinds of kibble, but when I switched to Stella and chewys he loves it. He eats all of it in seconds then licks the bowl. Sorry I didn't know u did not live in the USA is there a brand that makes little frozen patties where u live? I feel like these r made for little dogs who r picky eaters. Sandy's life and mine have greatly improved since switching however my vets wallet is very sad because he is never sick anymore.
[notify]