GO!

Feeding enough

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 6:54am PST 
Since Hank is still a puppy (just turned 4 months) I want to make sure he is getting enough to eat. Right now I have him on twice a day feelings, he is a very energetic puppy and I don't want him to lose weight. Should I feed him maybe three times a day until he is a bit older. I weighed him this morning and he hasn't lost any weight but he hasn't gained a whole lot since he was weighed at the vet three weeks ago....
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 8:38am PST 
I would feed him 3x a day until he is 6 months old unless he decides 2x is plenty.

Don't go by weight, go by ribs. You want him to be a bit lean but not skinny. Pups grow in spurts anyway.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 9:40am PST 
Yeah I'm going to do 3x, I was doing breakfast and dinner. Come dinner and he's inhaling it like he's starving! Plus being a puppy he has a lot of energy and we do daily walks so I don't want him to be underweight...
[notify]

Brody

What's in it for- me?

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 1:51pm PST 
I believe it's more about how much in total he's eating per day rather than how many times per day. For prey-model raw, the recommendation is to feed 2-3% of the dog's ideal adult weight each day. It's likely your puppy cannot eat that all at once, so see how much he can handle at one time and break it up into 2-3 meals as necessary.

I also believe I've read that raw-fed puppies grow more slowly than kibble-fed puppies. That's actually a good thing, since slower growth is much easier on the dog's bones and joints. I don't have a reference for that information right now, but I can try to find one.
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 4:42pm PST 
Unless he's actually looking too ribby, I wouldn't worry about it. It's much healthier for puppies (and dogs) to be lean than to be chubby. I started my dog on two meals a day at eight weeks and switched to one a day at six months, but like Maxwell said, it depends on the dog.

Raw fed puppies do indeed tend to grow at a slower, steadier rate than kibble fed pups, so you're less likely to see large bursts of growth. As long as he's getting the appropriate ratio of nutrients and eating around 2-3% of his expected adult weight per day, the number of meals per day comes down to his and your preference.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 5:19pm PST 
I think I'm going to break his food amount into 3 meals just to keep up with his energy, he seems more satisfied with three meals right now...
[notify]