GO!

Types of fish?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 7:34am PST 
Are pretty much all fish at the grocery store ok to give to your dog? Tuna too? Canned tuna in water?
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 9:35am PST 
Woof!! you just asked one of the things I wanted to. so far i had only given canned salmon in oil. one time. but i too don't know which to feed,specially since one of my dogs is a 3lb chihuahua xD. i heard its better to feed the canned fishes in water,and salmon can be dangerous because they transmit a disease and or have mercury,this, depends on where is the salmon from.
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 10:36am PST 
http://www.dogster.com/forums/Raw_Food_Diet/thread/737490

This will tell you lots about what types of meat to feed. Charlie and the others here put it togetehr about a year or so ago. It's amazing. i call it the Protein bible. big grin

(look for spaces in the URL. Dogster sometimes adds them)
[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 11:37am PST 
I feed Saya raw smelt, pacific saury(mackerel pike), white fish, and caned fish like salmon, mackerel, or sardines.

I don't give tuna much due to mercury stuff..

I have put tuna in the dog treat mix I make a few times, but it also has caned salmon cooked ground pork, liver, heart and stuff.

Caned tuna as once in while treat fine, but I'm not sure how much it has of the mercury stuff..

I think some species of mackerel can have high mercury too.

Careful with raw salmon or trought as they can be issue with parasites..
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 7:27pm PST 
I mentioned it in another thread,but,feeding canned fish once a week covers the Omega 3 in the diet?.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 7:38pm PST 
About 1/2-3/4 a meal's worth would do it for Max for some fish, depends on which one. Canned sardines with tomato sauce contains 1600mg O3 per 100 grams so 150 grams which is 1/2 of a meal would be a basic amount. Canned chum salomon has 1300mg so he would need more of it. I wouldn't feed it in one day though, maybe 2 or 3 smaller amounts every couple days.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 4:17am PST 
Thanks!! Just wanting to make sure Hank has a well rounded diet!!
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 4:19am PST 
So canned salmon is ok to give once or twice a week then?
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 8:39am PST 
I wouldn't feed only salmon that day though. Spread it out so the tummy doesn't get upset. In time it might or might not be okay with his gut to eat that way.
[notify]