GO!

Natural source of enzimes?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Terry

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 7:06am PST 
Hi again :p. Newbie asking more. l0l.

I want to know is there any food that can give them enzymes besides green tripe?. Most people thst don't feed it,is it necesary?.....

Terry sometimes eats his poop,this csn be normsl puppy behavior or he can be lacking some enzymes(but i think its the girst one xD).

Just wanna know,about enzymes and,now that am here xD is omega 3 a necesity to supplement too?.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 2:52pm PST 
Usually poop eating is a bad habit, nothing to do with needing enzymes. I don't know anything about enzymes being necessary, would think the animal needs to manufacture their own as stomach acids would destroy any that get eaten. I am happy to give Max green tripe but am not sure the enzymes it may or may not contain are particularly important.

If you feed lots of grass fed, pastured and wild meats then you don't need to be concerned with adding omega 3 fatty acids. Most of us feed grain fed meats which are high in omega 6 fatty acids. Either feeding some fatty fish like salmon, sardines, herring and anchovy weekly or fish oil a couple times a week or so will help with the imbalance. If you use fish oil then you need to add additional vitamin E to the diet as well as fish oil depletes E. From what I see the raw diet is low in E anyway.
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 4:30pm PST 
Wow...so many typos in my first post.....sorry about that l0l.

So,i feed grain fed animals i believe,i say that cause some times they are fed both,grains or hay or some type of grass.

But since they get omega 6,then the body renders it into omega 3 as i have heard.
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 5:47pm PST 
While it is true that the dog's body can convert 6's to 3's, it's such a small amount that is actually converted that in most cases supplementing 3's is necessary to provide a proper balance. If you rely purely on "they convert 6's to 3's" to provide the 3's, then you'd need a very high dose of 6's to get the proper amount of 3's. But the balance would be WAY out of whack and all sorts of issues could arise.
So, it's better to supplement 3's then hope that your dog can convert enough on it's own from 6's.

Not much of an issue if you get grassfed/organic/wild meats though. They've got plenty of 3's in them.

Edited by author Thu Mar 28, '13 5:49pm PST

[notify]
Terry

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 7:24pm PST 
How do you know if they are grain fed or grass fed? i get the meat from the supermarket. If i supplement with omega 3 then I would have to add vitamin E?....can i get it from a natural source...?

If i feed a fish once a week(canned or Raw) that should cover the omega 3 right?.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 7:50pm PST 
I experimented with using roasted sunflower seeds for vitamin E, manganese and magnesium for a few weeks but dropped it. Wheat germ oil is high in E and I am sure there are good natural forms I don't know about. Max is currently trying to work through a monster sized jar of capsules from Costco however - undoubtedly lots of soy in them.

Grass fed meats are sold as such, it is a big selling point. Beef and lamb have a bit more O3 than pork and poultry because they are usually pastured until they go to the stock yards and fattened up. Dogs need O6 too but the ratio is skewed toward O6. Lamb and beef have ratios of close to 2:1 if you get a fatty cut like chuck, chicken meat and skin is more like 18:1.

I get my information from here.
http://nutritiondata.self.com/
It is a bit easier to navigate than USDA.
http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/
[notify]