GO!

And who says raw food diet is to expensive!?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 4:11pm PST 
I went to the pet store to get some toys for Hank and as I was browsing at the dog food I saw that a six pound bag of good premium food was $20!! $20 a week?! Right now I can get Hank a weeks worth of meat for less then $10!!!
[notify]
Jake & Sweet- Caroline

Tricolored- Hounds for life!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 11:19pm PST 
Typically feeding fresh is cheaper for one dog. I think you run into issues if you have a very large dog Giant class or if you have multiple dogs.

For me it was cheapter to do 50/50 raw/dogfood. but now that apparnetly Caroline can't deal with dog food very well. I've been forced to buy dehydrated raw. Which is way more expensive then just making raw food fresh. 10lbs of fresh from dehydrated raw costs $20!!! It's outragous since that's only enough for like 5 days!!! I can feed her like you said on fresh raw from the store for about 25 for two weeks or more.
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 7:31am PST 
That is true! It would be a lot more expensive if I had a really large dog or multiple dogs! I am finding it very inexpensive to feed my one small/medium dog!!
[notify]

Dozer

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 1:39pm PST 
I have a 115 pound bullmastiff and I can feed him for around $120 a month (give or take)... I buy meat, organs, bonemeal, tripe, etc. and make a concoction of goodness at home. The dry food we had him on was $78 a bag and he went through 1.5 - 2 bags a month. For me even, its cheaper or on par to feed raw than kibble.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 2:57pm PST 
Wow, I never pay attention to the price of kibble these days. Back when I was buying the stuff it was about $40 for 30 pounds.

I guess I am doing okay then. Max would eat about 150 grams of kibble and does get about 300 grams of raw so if I am buying 12 pounds of meat for that $20 it comes to about $1.60 a pound. I think I am doing about that at the moment.
[notify]
Dreyfus

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 9:21pm PST 
I've been feeding my boys Honest Kitchen "Love". It's almost $100 a box, which lasts 3-4 days. That's 8-10 boxes per month. They are freaking expensive. If I can get their food cost down to $300-$400, I'll be thrilled.
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 9:26pm PST 
Dreyfus, don't know is these are close to you but I hear Creston Valley Meats and SoCalBarf co-op mentioned a lot as hood sources for So. Cali raw feeders. I know SoCalBarf has more than just ground/barf style products.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 9:47pm PST 
See Super King and the KVmart group of markets too. Chicken quarters were $.49 a pound at SK last week! And there are some wholesale meat places that will sell a couple cases at a time too. I don't know the prices as they aren't published online, you have to call.

Prey model is going to cost a lot less than THK. If you are feeding 300 pounds of dog that would be about 6 pounds a day and 180 pounds a month. I hold the line at $1 for bony meat and $2 for boneless so with an average cost of $1.50 a pound you might be spending $450 a month. Would definitely need a freezer but your prices might be a lot less than that too. Max would need about 10 pounds of THK for 40 days for about $100 but I feed him for more like $30 a month.
[notify]
Sabi

When the night- closes in I will- be there

Barked: Fri Mar 29, '13 7:13am PST 
I try to get in 2-3 meals of raw a week, but cost is dependant on region and in Alberta there is no such thing as cheap meat. I had a bunch of wild meat given to me but a lot of it got passed along as Shadow was allergic. I am also feeding multiple large dogs. That definitely affects the cost.
[notify]
Dreyfus

Barked: Sun Mar 31, '13 7:10pm PST 
Thanks Chance and Maxwell. Those are really helpful. However, I have moved to the bay area and hadn't yet updated my profile. Know of any stores near that area?

Thanks again so much for all your help with this.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2