GO!

Newbie to Raw Food Diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 6:43am PST 
Hi, my name is Stacy and Hank is my 15 week old beagle/basset mix. We got him about a month ago and was sent him with a bag of Iams that the shelter had been feeding him. After about two weeks I notices how course his fur was, it was very flaky and he was scratching a lot. He was also pooping 5-6x a day. After some research I decided to give him the raw food diet. He's been on it for about a week and is doing great! So far he's had chicken legs and some beef. His fur is getting much softer and his flakes have almost totally disappeared and he's down to pooping twice a day! I'm excited to add different cuts of meat and organs to his diet! Any tips/advice would be great!
[notify]
Terry

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 10:20am PST 
Hi!! I am a newbie too party. started about two weeks ago. recently i added a little bit of organ meat,it makes the poop smell a little stronger *only for my puppy,my adult dog doesn't get that* I too started with chicken,lately i have added red meat,but for the bone content i feed chicken wings,or drumstick,chicken liver,and two days ago gave them a complete quail that I got from the supermarket.

I have heard that veggies are not really needed,and if you do feed them its better if they are pureed first,i want to feed some *leafy greens are the healthiest* so i made today a mix of spinach,roman lettuce,apple,and banana,i put that in ice trays to give them one or two a week.

I introduce things slowly,for now its only chicken and beef,i want to start with pig and others such as rabbit,lamb and fish,but i am a little afraid of parasites in pig,so i have to research a little on that.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 10:59am PST 
That is great Hank. It amazes me that coat changes happen that quickly. It took me several months to realize Max's fur was longer and shinier. I noticed cleaner teeth first.
[notify]

UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 4:18pm PST 
welcome Stacy and Hank.

Glad to hear your pup is doing well on raw. My absolute favorite source of information for prey model raw is Chance's Beginner's Guide to Prey Model Raw PDF. I've been feeding raw since 2009 and I still learned quite a bit from it. Really a great reference with a plethora of information.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 5:45pm PST 
Sandys fur was noticeably thicker and softer after only 1 week!!! It was crazy!
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Mar 27, '13 7:48pm PST 
welcome
[notify]
Hank

Is it dinner- time yet?

Barked: Thu Mar 28, '13 3:58am PST 
I also noticed that he is drinking less water, he used to chug water all the time on dry food and now he'll wander up to his water bowl a few times a day and just drink a few sips..
[notify]