GO!

Feeding raw prevents (decreases the chances of) bloat?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 2:42pm PST 
Does feeding raw prevent bloat in bloating risk breeds like basset hounds, beagles and other deep chested dogs? Or are the same risks associated with kibble feeding still associated wtih bloat for raw feeders?

any data on this relationship would be helpful to me.

Thanks.
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 3:23pm PST 
Not really. The only thing raw fed dogs get an advantage of when it comes to bloat is when you give them big chunks of food that they have to tear and crunch before they can ingest, significantly slowing down their food intake. Giving them easily swallowed food like ground or small pieces would still give you the same risk factor as non-raw stuff.

The same risk-prevention techniques with kibble (spread out the food into 3 or more meals a day, don't give them too much water all at once, don't exercise them right after meals, etc.) still apply.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 3:43pm PST 
Thanks. Maybe i'm just say too concerned about bloating. I've never had the issue with jake but i was told bassets are prone to it. and so i'm trying to prevent that as much as possible. When i interned for my old Vet i saw a dog die from that and i'd rather not have to have that happen to one of my fur kids.

Thanks for your advise.

I guess i'll have to just feed the new pup if i get approved like i feed jake.
[notify]

Bam-Bam, CGC

Lil' Rubble

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 10:50am PST 
I have heard that it reduces the risk, although I'm not sure why. Lantis, the dobe that used to be on the boards, bloated many times although he was raw fed.

Bam's bloat scare was after transitioning to kibble frown
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 12:52pm PST 
Thanks bam bam. I think i'm just being hyper sensitive since I'm looking into adopting a breed that i've been told has a high suseptibilty of bloating. And I really don't want to have to go through that.

Jake bloated once but it was that not so dangerous kind that happens when your beagle escapes his confides then gets into an entire bag of avoderm and you find him literally on the floor in a "food coma" and whinning cuz he's stuffed himself nearly to death. he didn't eat for a while after that happened.

Thanks for the information.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Fri Mar 8, '13 6:07pm PST 
I know a few people that are completely convinced of this.

I'm skeptical and consider it one of the many myths about raw.
[notify]