GO!

Main meat/ Mixing Protein

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Marley

Blame the deed,- NOT the Breed

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 3:40pm PST 
Just wondering does anybody/ how many of you feed a main protein source for their dogs? Also does anybody give a bone meal with ground meat of some sort/? I know variety is the key but in my opinion as long as there is at least 2 or 3 different protein source, Im thinking its enough, correct me if I'm wrong. For instance I feed Marley chicken legs/quarts/breast, pork chops with the bone, ground beef, eggs, liver and some olive oil. I'm still having trouble with persuading Marley to eat her liver.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 3:55pm PST 
I'll mix just about anything together as long as Conker will eat it. I don't limit it to just one or two animals at a time.

I mainly use turkey parts for bone and beef as meat. Most of the time it's ground beef since that's basically the only affordable type of beef in my area. Occasionally I use pork when I find it on sale. I'd use chicken (and lamb) more often but the dang Shiba won't touch it anymore. He gets an egg every day. Sometimes I give him stuff like canned fishes. Today it was a bit of smoked salmon.
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 6:03pm PST 
Mr Beagle eats primarily chicken as it's cheap n my area be it bone in or boneless. He can't eat pree ground chicken or turkey do to the fat for some reason. If i cook it and drain it he can. I feed mostly beef organs and lamb organs. unfortunately Mr. B is allergic to pork of any kind which makes me sad since pork leg and pork is pretty cheap around here too.

We'll start feeding goat and goat parts once i know he likes it.

I also started feeding smelt this week and he loved it. So i'm debating introducing salmon heads if i can get over the fear of salmon poisoning.

But as a main meat jake eats chicken and chicken and more chicken. With beef heart, liver, kidney, testicles (fryers), sheep brains, tongue, whatever i can get under $2 a lb.
[notify]

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 6:41pm PST 
Liver is essential to the diet--it's not optional.

Try cutting it in very small small pieces, freezing in a single layer on a cookie sheet, then lifting the frozen pieces off with a spatula and tossing in a freezer bag. Feed little bits at a time as treats while still frozen. Gradually increase the size of your pieces, if you'd like.

Some dogs don't like the texture. Feeding liver frozen seems to work for a lot of dogs.

Also, CAUTION on pork chop bones. They are mechanically sawed and usually very sharp. I would never feed a pork chop bone.

Edited by author Tue Mar 5, '13 6:43pm PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 6:59pm PST 
I consider red meat to be the main protein, feed chicken and turkey when necessary for the bone and fish for the omega 3. He gets goat heads, BBQ beef ribs [only eats a little of the actual bone] and bare lamb bones as well as chicken for bone. Red meats include ostrich [richer in mineral content than chicken/turkey], rabbit [not very rich oh well], beef heart, pork at the moment.

Generally he gets a bit of this and a bit of that daily. Today he got organ mix from many animals, green tripe and a bit of chicken breast for bone as he didn't need it yesterday.

If I could choose one [all are sort of spendy] and could only feed one protein it would be venison, goat, beef or lamb.
[notify]
Sandy

tiny...but fast!

Barked: Tue Mar 5, '13 7:02pm PST 
Could u put the liver in a food processor so its like ground meat and then stir it up with some ground beef? That might work
[notify]
Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 12:01am PST 
i have some issues feeding jake beef kidney and livers. I found serving them frozen works best. Jake will eat heart just fine fresh from the packaget but liver and kidney or guts needs to be frozen or he won't even attempt it.

In the beginning I would broil the liver and cut it up with rice or throw it in cooked. My dog loves cooked livers. Jake goes crazy for them. I also dehydrate my own livers and see how that works. usually really really well. He loves them but OMG it smells.
[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 7:37am PST 
I'm always scanning the weekly grocery circulars. But this is what's usually affordable to me:
1.) Whole Chicken Fryers (99cents a pound)
2.) Pork Shoulder ($1.19 a pound). I use the bone as recreational bone. So, an 8lb pork shoulder only gives me 7lbs of meat which makes the actual cost 1.36/lb.
3.) Beef Hearts ($1 a pound when bought in 30lb case).
4.) Beef liver and Beef kidney ($1.45/lb).

These are my staples. The grocery circulars usually puts Turkey Breasts on sale for 99 cents a pound every 6 weeks or so. I get those sometimes. I also occasionally drive the 120 miles to the co-op to get green tripe ($1.65/lb). And when there's a reptile show, I sometimes get frozen rabbits for $11 for a 12lb whole rabbit there.

Then, I get English Whiting from when the boys go fishing and hogs when the boys go hunting. They do that in the summer when school is out.

Edited by author Wed Mar 6, '13 7:39am PST

[notify]
Bullie

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 7:40am PST 
I can't imagine putting liver in a food processor. It will probably turn into a bloody mush. Beef liver is very spongy.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Mar 6, '13 8:48am PST 
It does turn into a bloody mess. Been there, done that for liver cookies. I really really really hated cleaning out the blender. Too bad it was impossible to let the dogs do it for me. Would make it impossible to pick out of a meal though! It stays in globs if ground coarsely enough though.

Could dehydrate some and use for treats and gradually leave it wetter and wetter I suppose - freezing most of it of course. That would be a long term commitment but it sure is nice having a dog that looks forward to the organ part of the meal.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2