GO!

Classifications help please...

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 12:49am PST 
Hello!

So i'm fixing up Jake's diet and deciding to add a few *new* things. I decided to buy Tripe from Haretoday and want to know what it is considered in terms of the meat to organ to bone ratio. do i consider it an organ or do i just consider green tripe an *add on*?

Kidney is considered other organ and not considered part of the secreting organ catagory right?

For bones. I'm trying to make raw and *not gross* as possible so my mother can feed jake on days I"m not home. She comes over to my house and feeds him on days i'm going to be in class late and what not. Can you place bones in a food processor? or am i better off just buying bone meal or crushing up egg shells?

One more random question:

Can i food process meat on days that jake doesn't have to eat bones? Because I noticed if i feed jake a turkey leg or wing then he'll get stopped up and can't poop unless he eats at least two days of no bone meat. But in feeding no bone meat i've discoved jake still likes to gobble. So i was considering eating my burden by processing the boneless meat and giving it to him like canned soft food. Can that be done? or does anyone do that?
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 3:04am PST 
"Other organs" generally refers to secreting organs other than liver. Things like heart, which are technically organs but don't secrete, are usually just called muscle meat. Kidney is a secreting organ and counts toward the 5% other organs. Many people use kidney primarily or exclusively as their other secreting organ because it's generally the easiest to get.

Green tripe is considered muscle meat, but it's best to introduce it gradually. The tripe from Hare Today has a decent bit of spleen included, which like kidney is a secreting organ that counts toward the 5% other organs. Most people don't feed enough tripe to really make that much of a consideration though.

I wouldn't try to put bones in a regular food processor. You could just use boneless meals when your mother feeds him. Hare Today also has grinds that include bone, so that could be another option.

On your last question, are you worried he'll choke on the boneless meat because he's not chewing thoroughly, and that's why you want to grind it? I would probably be inclined to give the boneless meals in a large frozen/semi-frozen chunk to force him to chew, rather than make it easier for him to vacuum the food down by grinding it.

Edited by author Sat Feb 23, '13 3:21am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 7:01am PST 
Max gets stopped up if he eats too much bone too. That would make it easy for you. Feed that wing the day before your mother feeds him and he would be fine eating plain meat the next day. Max gets fed bony stuff plus organ one day and boneless meat following as a usual thing. I make sure he gets some liver and other secreting organ like kidney, spleen and the rest with that bony meat meal rather than the plain meat meal.

You can also buy ground meat if your machines are like mine, my food processor and blender cannot chop raw muscle meat. I do have some bone in grinds and they are so easy to deal with for my stand in feeders. If you smash it around the angle between side and bottom of a dish then it takes longer to eat it. I also mix ground stuff with water and Max can not vacuum it up in 4 seconds. 8 maybe! I don't much like feeding ground stuff but better than upsetting your mother!
[notify]

Mr. Jake the- Beagle

I am Murphy's- Law Embodied! <3- Me!

Barked: Sat Feb 23, '13 8:34pm PST 
my machine proesses boneless meat pretty well. I used it the other night to course chop a chicken breast to mix into some cookies i made for Mr. B. He loved them.

I was mostly asking becasue I have to blend jake's organs. Jake will not eat organs unless they are swished up and placed in raw meat or blended. i think it's a texture thing. So i was really going to blend up the proper amounts of liver and organ and then put them in 7 bags to go for a week. If that makes sense. Or a month or whatever the amount is. And i was goig to mix the organ puree with the boneless meat on days he didn't have to eat bone.

Or is that a bad idea??

I considered buying the already ground meat with bones and stuff from Haretoday but at the price it's cheaper for me to make it myself since jake eats about 1.2-1.5lbs a day or he starts to get to skinny. i have to feed my 30lb dog the amount of meat for a 35-40lb dog or he starts to loose weight.

Thank you so much for your responses.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sun Feb 24, '13 8:55am PST 
Blending organs is fine. My blender can chop liver, never tried it on kidney. It more liquifies than chops though which isn't really a problem. Just be sure to keep things clean and cold and your glop will be better than supermarket ground and much cheaper than made up raw.
[notify]