GO!

Transitioning a rescue to raw - vomiting and loose stool

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 8:09am PST 
Hi everyone,

I just rescued a dog 3 days ago and put him right on the same diet as my other dog, mostly ground up chicken carcasses with a little red meat thrown in (He will also get some fish and some organs but he hasn't been with us long enough to see the breadth of his diet). He's vomited 3 times since Sunday. Last night it was about 3-4 hours after eating (seemed to be a mixture of chicken and yellow bile), this morning it was almost immediately after eating (I wasn't there - my husband fed him). That did happen before but I believe I fed him too much at once and he ate too fast. He does have looser stool than I am used to seeing from my dog - probably due to the diet he was already on.

He is a 4 year old French Bulldog (the rescue said he was a boston but there's no way). With his original family he was eating purina one. He has seen a vet and is healthy, is up to date on shots also. I plan on taking him for a fecal to rule out any parasites but...is this normal? Should I continue to feed him the same way or should I mix in some dry food? Should I fast him for 12 hours? My other dog had no problem going cold turkey on the dry stuff but maybe it was because he ate a better quality dry food to begin with.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 10:10am PST 
Maybe due to the fast switch maybe it's too much plus sometimes dogs can be stressed out being in shelter or foster home then going to new home.

Maybe it help keep on current food and then switch once settled in the house?

What is the dog getting? Maybe make it more bland only give bone in chicken no skin and once he's doing well add the skin back in then once doing well on that slowly work in organs.

Organs are rich and for a dog new to raw it's best to keep it simple.

Giving a probiotic might help get the guts working better.

Ark naturals has one called gentle digest there are other brands too and some use human kinds.. I'm not sure on that so can't help.

When Saya was new to raw on her first raw poop she had a bit of mucous in her poop. then she got better next day and did have one poop with bone shards, but after a bit her poop got better and bone was powder not bone shards.

I think it takes some time for the stomach to get used to digesting things.

Depends on the dog if it's toy breed you probably just skip one meal then give the other meal. I'm not sure though. On whole hypoglycemia thing.

How many times a day do you feed your dog?

Bile is usually sign of empty stomach, but if there is some food in the puke then I don't know.. :

I hope it gets fixed soon.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 12:20pm PST 
I think he was quite stressed the first day , maybe day and a half but his personality is really coming out now. We heard him bark for the first time yesterday.

He's just getting ground up chicken carcasses bone in, not sure there's any skin in it but there could be. His first day we gave him some stewing beef, he liked that and there was no vomiting. We haven't given him organs yet...I want to make sure he's alright on the main diet first. I'm thinking maybe I'll get him some meaty bones so he eats slower?

I'll try the probiotic as well.

I'm not really worried about his poo because I saw a sample when he was in his last home and it wasn't good either...I think the food they were giving him was purina one or something.

The dogs are fed in the morning and in the evening.

I think there was food in it but can't be sure, it was a lot of yellow but not all yellow...

Thanks, I'm going to give him a couple more days to adjust, it's probably just the change.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 1:02pm PST 
I think he was quite stressed the first day , maybe day and a half but his personality is really coming out now. We heard him bark for the first time yesterday.

He's just getting ground up chicken carcasses bone in, not sure there's any skin in it but there could be. His first day we gave him some stewing beef, he liked that and there was no vomiting. We haven't given him organs yet...I want to make sure he's alright on the main diet first. I'm thinking maybe I'll get him some meaty bones so he eats slower?

I'll try the probiotic as well.

I'm not really worried about his poo because I saw a sample when he was in his last home and it wasn't good either...I think the food they were giving him was purina one or something.

The dogs are fed in the morning and in the evening.

I think there was food in it but can't be sure, it was a lot of yellow but not all yellow...

Thanks, I'm going to give him a couple more days to adjust, it's probably just the change.
[notify]
Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 1:11pm PST 
It takes about 5 days for stress hormones/levels to go down completely. feed him a little every few hours, and no beef. only chicken
[notify]