GO!

Got my first lecture from the vet this morning . . .

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3  
Sugarbear

Do I hear- someone in the- kitchen!?

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 10:14am PST 
I've gotten the e-coli lecture. The vet wasn't worried about the dogs, but the humans in the household. I'm more worried about picking something up from fresh fruit and vegetables than I am about the raw meat I feed my dogs.
If it wasn't for a raw diet, I would have a chronically ill dog. It took months on the raw diet to eliminate the chronic yeast infection my little guy had from the vet-recommended commercial diet and prednisone 2-3X a week.
He's dropped 10 lbs of bloat, smells great, hasn't had any issues with the once-recurrent ear and skin infections, and has such a shiny soft coat that receives compliments. The vet-recommended diet for my dogs would just mean suffering for my pets, and repeat business for the vet clinic. Never take for granted the words of someone who will make a profit from you following their advice. thinking
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 11:41am PST 
Four and a half years and no vet bills due to raw yet.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 12:08pm PST 
I have fed raw for over 40 years and never had any kind of intestinal problem.There are many many different kinds of e-coli naturally occurring in the gut. The bad news happens when gut bacteria get out of balance or are weekened or killed of by, well, antibiotics for instance.

I don't take my animals to vets who do not understand my program. If I have an emergency of some sort and have to take them to an unfamiliar vet, I don't share my programs with them. I have working dogs and they always need to be at the top of their game. That means the veterinarian they visit has to be on the same page as I am and my dogs are.

I only feed raw and have done so since my first dog in 1974.

Veronica Stork
Silicon Valley Raw Food Company, Inc.
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 1:14pm PST 
We were pleasantly surprised by the vet who aspirated the lump.

The vet tech "couldn't understand" Chance's raw diet.

The vet asked how long Chance had been on it and how she was doing - because her dogs have food sensitivities and she was wondering about raw for her dogs.
We plan to always ask for this vet!
[notify]

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 2:20pm PST 
I would find a new vet if they r being rude to u. Vets legally have to release your records on your request do they can be faxed to the new vet. I would just call every vet in your town until one says they support raw. I went to a vet that put sandy on a vet diet that almost killed him. That stuff is garbage.
[notify]
Mitchell- Rapp "Black- Ops"

Barked: Wed Feb 20, '13 8:47pm PST 
Heck the only food borne illnesses that I have seen at the clinic has been due to commercial kibble, never have I seen or even heard of problems with raw, oh maybe when the owner is switching from kibble to raw and has transitioned alittle too quickly.
So when the Vet starts to give you "the lecture" just state that most of the food caused illnesses have been caused by kibble such as the diamond made products or from the problems in '08. And then you can tell them "well, lets just agree to disagree" if you like the Vet. If not move on to another Vet who will respect your discision to feed raw, your dog is after all, YOUR dog.
[notify]
Barbaro

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 6:27pm PST 
My vet doesn't recommend it because he doesn't know enough about it. But when I brought up trying it on my Dalmatian with chronic urinary issues( Common for the breed) he was all for it. He will admit that he feels processed diets have a lot to do with health problems in our pets.
[notify]

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 10:44am PST 
You might want to consider a holistic vet : )
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Tue Mar 19, '13 2:18pm PST 
If anyone with a pro-kibble stance asked me why I would feed my dogs something I wouldn't eat myself, I'd wonder why the heck they were willing to eat kibble.

I mean, really.

Otherwise I completely agree with that question. I personally would eat anything I feed my dogs, although not being canine I would have to process some of it into more edible form. Specifically the whole, head-on, guts-included fish.
[notify]
  (Page 3 of 3: Viewing entries 21 to 29)  
1  2  3