GO!

Knowing how much to feed

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Obi

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 8:11pm PST 
I have a 70 pound dog. He needs to gain at least 5 pounds. He is currently eating 2 cups of deer meat and 1 1/3 cups of honest kitchens preference a day. I am switching to raw in combination with an elimination diet. Can anyone recommend some good weight building food? He is eating more in quantity and when he was on kibble is this normal?
[notify]
Charlie &- Zelda

Love at first- sniff <3

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 9:00pm PST 
I've found that depending on the dog, raw can work very well for weight adjustment. I once saw Charlie looking just slightly thicker around the ribs, so I cut his daily percentage from 3% to 2.5% and he was slender again in just a few weeks time. On the other hand, I fed Zelda TRIPLE her daily recommend percentage and she never gained weight.

Anywho, you should be feeding between 2-3% of your dog's adult weight, or the weight you'd like your dog to be. A 75-lb dog would need between 1.5 (1 lb. 8 oz.) and 2.25 (2 lbs. 4 oz.) lbs of food per day. That's IF you're just doing raw though. Adding in kibble or other commercial diets would make that a bit more complicated.
[notify]
Ozzy- PawsBourne

The prince of- Barkness

Barked: Thu Feb 21, '13 11:37pm PST 
at the bottom there is a calculator that does it for you smile

https://www.hare-today.com/feed.php
[notify]

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 7:27am PST 
Muscle meat, especially red meat, is weight building food. If you're trying to get your dog to gain weight, you'll need to start with the 3% recommended PMR serving, observe his weight for 2 weeks, and if he is losing weight or staying steady, increase the amount.

Another important factor to this is exercise. You want to keep your dog as active as he is capable to convert the food he is eating to add to a muscular build.

Edited by author Fri Feb 22, '13 7:28am PST

[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Fri Feb 22, '13 4:03pm PST 
I don't know about cups, but prey model raw says to feed 2-3% of your dogs weight. If they aren't keeping weight like you want them to, feed more.

Also, I know a dog who has a hard time keeping weight on and her only solution was to have grains in the food (oatmeal). Dogs are all individuals and may require different things.

If your dog is still young, he could still just be in an awkward growing stage. I always see pups look really thin around that certain age.
[notify]