GO!

Considering raw and elimination diet

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Obi

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 6:31pm PST 
I have considered raw on and off for some time now. My dog has had some bad food allergies and was recently put on an elimination diet. I refused to do the Rx food so I have been making it. I have been using the honest kitchens preference along with cooked deer meat. I have the deer raw but have been putting it in the crock pot. I feel like all I am doing is killing the nutrients. He has done great on this diet. In two weeks I am going to try another protein. I am thinking beef.

Has any one used preference? Any thoughts on it?
Should I worry about cooking the deer meat since it is game meat?
What is the best way to switch to raw?
Any one feed raw to an allergy dog or dog with IBD?
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:14am PST 
For game meat, since we feed it raw, we make sure it has been in the freezer for (I think it's 2 weeks, I'm not sure) to kill any parasites.
So lots of raw fed dogs have eaten deer meat. You can even watch youtube vidoes of dogs eating deer meat.
When I started raw, we switched cold turkey. I think that is the best way so that the dogs system can concentrate on getting used to raw. It may take a week to do so, but you just have to watch the poop, and if it looks fine, then you can continue adding something different.
It's best to start with one bone-in protein (chicken, turkey, pork) and wait until their digesting it well, then you can introduce the next thing.

Sometimes dogs need help with probiotics
[notify]