GO!

Chicken Feet (yum lol)

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 3:49pm PST 
I have a question about chicken feet! I've fed Murph RMB's for quite a few years now but I've never ran across chicken feet in stores until the other day. I gave him one the other night and I realized when he got to the bone that it seems really rough and splintery. Is this perfectly safe for him? I know he wont fully chew the bone up into little pieces but he does chew it (so that makes me a bit nervous). Another thing is the nails, do you cut them off or keep them? confusedbig laugh
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 3:53pm PST 
this is a video of my dog eating a chicken foot whole
it took her a while to finish it
but that's my experience and we had no problem with it. unless your chicken feet were somehow different than mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_RQ0LWWAm0

there might be a space in the URL

Edited by author Tue Feb 5, '13 3:55pm PST

[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 4:02pm PST 
Trying to get your video to work but it wont load and then it says its 1 second long. Youtube is acting up, I tried it on different browsers too. Cookie is adorable though, I watched some of your other videos big grin
[notify]

Nare

Woo-woo- whineybutt

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 5:26pm PST 
Chicken feet have bone?
Ours were always rubbery-- cartridge.
Did you actually feel it or were you going by looks ? On the inside there is stringy stuff (tendons? iunno.) that I guess could look like splintery stuff.

Btw I would clip off the toe nails. When Nare eats them the toenails don't digest and look like little slug things in his poop.. Scared me to death the first few times.
[notify]
Murphy

Smurph Man

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 6:36pm PST 
I'm pretty sure that it has bones, you can hear them cracking and its really strong. I'll clip the nails, I can't stand seeing them anyways lol!

Edited by author Tue Feb 5, '13 6:36pm PST

[notify]

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 10:39pm PST 
When we feed our dog chicken feet, she just gobbles them up much like Cookie does in the video.

Murphy, although I don't like seeing the nails on the chicken feet, I don't remove them. And, I don't think there are bones on that part of the chicken. I think the appropriate term is cartilage. big grin
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:01am PST 
I have fed them whole for years without issue. I don't clip anything off.
[notify]
Cookie

the chi-weenie

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 7:07am PST 
Sorry about that! it did that to me too, but after I tried again, it seems to be working.

Well you can def. just search "Cookie eats a chicken paw" and find it right there on youtube. You can skip to the part when she really starts to chew the bone up. All her raw feeding vids were always her first time with something so they are all long....
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 8:24am PST 
Saya and Bella loves chicken feet haven't had issue yet.. I don't clip them, but you can if you want.

I've fed turkey feet before and man they look like dinosaur feet. haha
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Wed Feb 6, '13 9:46am PST 
In addition to chicken feet, I regularly feed whole chickens, quail, rabbit, ect. with all the nails/claws still attached and have never had a problem.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2