GO!

My dog doesn't like liver! What should I do?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Kahirah, Ch.

What can I get- into now?

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 4:04am PST 
Kahirah wont touch liver unless I cut it small and mix it well with a raw egg.
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Feb 5, '13 10:11am PST 
Max adores liver and all other organs. Usually it is the first thing he seeks out in his dish.

He first got it as the flavor in home cooked cookies back when he ate kibble. He got to smell the package, the liver as lucky me got to grind it up and mix with the other ingredients, lick out the scraped clean bowl and last - get tiny cookies for being a 'specially good puppy dog.

See what is different about the way he was introduced? We raw feeders know it is important to eat it, without and the diet may fail the dog. He only got it as a very special treat and not often as I really hated the mess and smell. Now that won't work for dogs already on raw of course but you can slowly introduce it in a manner that might not put so much pressure on the dog.

I had read every single thread on this forum and knew liver caused loose stool and lots of dogs hated it. I knew Max liked liver but having loose stool could put him off it. I took the first pound of liver, cut into Max's daily serving and froze on a cookie sheet. After freezing all but one went into a bag. The last one was shaved as small as I could get it and he got one shaving the first day +1 the next until he was ate the whole bit in one go. Only took about a week and he never got an uncomfortable tummy or refused it.

If a shaving had caused trouble I could have tried blending it and freezing drops on a cookie sheet to mix with the water I put in his feeding dish. Now that would have been a bother!

Don't worry that you have to get the liver in NOW or the dog is going to suffer. Sneak it in as something special and keep it low key and in tiny amounts. It is a very powerful smell and weird texture as we all can plainly see and it may take some time to get accustomed to.
[notify]
Cali

Barked: Thu Feb 7, '13 7:13pm PST 
Hey, thanks for all the good ideas. I'm glad to find out that some other dogs hate liver too. Today I tried actually *training* Cali a command to "eat your food." She actually responded very well and ate half a chicken liver to get some treats. Maybe with time, she will learn to like it, as some of you have reported for your dogs. Thanks.
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2