GO!

Holy baby cow!

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 5:54pm PST 
So I have this ad up on craigslist asking about unwanted/freezerburnt meat. I repost it every week or so, haven't gotten a hit yet. Until today.

I am at a friend's house taking care of her dogs and my cell rings. It's a local number, I never get called from local numbers. Curious, I answer the phone.
"Hi, I saw you have an ad on craigslist for unwanted freezerburnt meat?" A man asks.
"Why yes, I do have an ad." I reply.
"I was wondering if you would be interested in a cow calf." Pause. "One of my calves died today."
Wait, did I hear that right? A calf? I concider it for a moment, think of saying no, then I reply...
"Sure, yes! I'd be interested."

After arranging a swap-site and running out to pick up a tarp, I meet the distraught Farmer at a farm supply/hardware store. He explains to me that the calf, barely a week and a half old, was fine until about five days ago. The Farmer had gone up to Washington for a few days and upon his return the calf was not looking too good. His mother, a wonderful cow, had a huge "bag" and her teats got too big for the calf to suckle on properly. The Farmer tried and tired to get the calf to nurse, even milked the cow and bottle fed him, but he just wouldn't eat. This was a huge blow to the Farmer, he has only five mother cows and this calf represented 20% of his potential income. In exchange for the calf, we agreed upon a price of $5, but I gave him $10. It was all I could spare. (Yes, I am that poor.)

Anywho, he didn't want the calf's body to go to waste and saw my ad and called me up, and was glad that I could use the entire calf. It's a sad story, but my dogs will be happy to have this little cow to munch on. The Farmer told me that he sometimes has hearts, livers, tongues, and kidneys. He never does anything with them and would rather they be used instead of thrown away, so he kept my phone number so he could call me when he's got some.

After our little rendevouz, I bring the calf home and explain to my Mom, who is not exactly fond of this idea, why I've got a dead baby cow in the back of my Jeep. My neighbor (who has a clear view of our backyard) texts my Mom and asks what I am skinning, then comments about how I should be on a farm or something like that. Most people don't just bring home a calf and start skinning it in their yard...
Unfortunately for me I didn't have anything to hang him on, so skinning, gutting, and cutting went really really slow. The Girls stood by and watched the entire time, drooling profusely, while Conker bothered the neighbor's Husky, who looked like he also wanted a bite.
Here is my little cow.

cSo I have this ad up on craigslist asking about unwanted/freezerburnt meat. I repost it every week or so, haven't gotten a hit yet. Until today.

I am at a friend's house taking care of her dogs and my cell rings. It's a local number, I never get called from local numbers. Curious, I answer the phone.
"Hi, I saw you have an ad on craigslist for unwanted freezerburnt meat?" A man asks.
"Why yes, I do have an ad." I reply.
"I was wondering if you would be interested in a cow calf." Pause. "One of my calves died today."
Wait, did I hear that right? A calf? I concider it for a moment, think of saying no, then I reply...
"Sure, yes! I'd be interested."

After arranging a swap-site and running out to pick up a tarp, I meet the distraught Farmer at a farm supply/hardware store. He explains to me that the calf, barely a week and a half old, was fine until about five days ago. The Farmer had gone up to Washington for a few days and upon his return the calf was not looking too good. His mother, a wonderful cow, had a huge "bag" and her teats got too big for the calf to suckle on properly. The Farmer tried and tired to get the calf to nurse, even milked the cow and bottle fed him, but he just wouldn't eat. This was a huge blow to the Farmer, he has only five mother cows and this calf represented 20% of his potential income. In exchange for the calf, we agreed upon a price of $5, but I gave him $10. It was all I could spare. (Yes, I am that poor.)

Anywho, he didn't want the calf's body to go to waste and saw my ad and called me up, and was glad that I could use the entire calf. It's a sad story, but my dogs will be happy to have this little cow to munch on. The Farmer told me that he sometimes has hearts, livers, tongues, and kidneys. He never does anything with them and would rather they be used instead of thrown away, so he kept my phone number so he could call me when he's got some.

After our little rendevouz, I bring the calf home and explain to my Mom, who is not exactly fond of this idea, why I've got a dead baby cow in the back of my Jeep. My neighbor (who has a clear view of our backyard) texts my Mom and asks what I am skinning, then comments about how I should be on a farm or something like that. Most people don't just bring home a calf and start skinning it in their yard...
Unfortunately for me I didn't have anything to hang him on, so skinning, gutting, and cutting went really really slow. The Girls stood by and watched the entire time, drooling profusely, while Conker bothered the neighbor's Husky, who looked like he also wanted a bite.
Here is my little cow.

The calf.
Skinned.
Cut and boxed.

The little cow was about the size of a large Mastiff. I do not know exactly how much he weighed, but he fit nicely into my freezer with plenty of room to spare. The Girls are now munching on some feet in the backyard, quite happy with their new treasures. (Conker is a dope and wants a bone, but not one of those bones, so he don't get one.)
[notify]
Jasper

High-flyin' Pup!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 5:58pm PST 
To bad about the little calf, but I'm glad you got to benefit from it. What a find!
[notify]
UCH Onyx TT,- CGC

Do you even- lift?

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 6:09pm PST 
Nice! I'm also impressed by your skinning job!
[notify]

Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Jan 31, '13 6:16pm PST 
Yeah, it is too bad about the calf. He was a cute little bugger too, pure white.

Thanks! It was my first time skinning a bigger animal. I'll need to scrape some meat off the hide when I tan it but for the most part I got the hide of pretty cleanly. I surprised myself with that, since I did it with a boxcutter happy dance

Edited by author Thu Jan 31, '13 6:17pm PST

[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 7:23am PST 
I agree you did a nice job. smile

I was bit messy with the groundhog hide too, but the meat can be taken off.. hehe

I'm glad you got a hit on your ad.
[notify]
Charlie

The world is my- food bowl!

Barked: Fri Feb 1, '13 2:08pm PST 
I am tremendously jealous! I always wanted a find like this, but there aren't many rural people in my area.

Fantastic job keeping that baby from going to waste, and congrats on all the free food!
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Sat Feb 2, '13 6:27am PST 
You go with your bad self...that is something I could not stomach doing! But I would still take the calf and bribe one of my hunter friends to skin and cut it up. smile
[notify]
Lily

I will use my- cuteness to- persuade you!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 5:23pm PST 
Woooow, I bet your freezer is big. I only get one shelf.

I can not see myself skinning an animal that big.... but you never know I guess... XD
[notify]
Maya

Excited to have- a twolegger- sibling!!!

Barked: Wed Apr 17, '13 5:32pm PST 
Poor baby cow frown but I would love to get a call like that! Way to go! I have no problems skinning...in WA all my friends thought I was nuts, but its a bit more normal here in AK, lol. I've never done anything that large but didnt do bad with rabbits. The half llama I got a few years ago was already skinned for me. I'm planning on posting an ad on craigslist once we move into our new house and I get a hold of a second freezer.
[notify]
Conker

OBEY ME!

Barked: Thu Apr 18, '13 4:26am PST 
Lily - It's 16 cubic feet. Big in general, but not as big as they can get! It's about packed right now since I got a ton of free meat recently.

You can see some pictures of the baby beef and my dogs enjoying it here: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.353840951396646.81802.100003122332853&type=1&l=8e43669d9c

It lasted about two weeks.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2