GO!

wont eat pork ribs

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Stella

Barked: Mon Jan 28, '13 11:15pm PST 
So, Stella wont eat chicken bones unless most of the meat is taken off which is not a huge deal, but still sort of annoying lol. I bought a bunch of pork ribs and went to feed them to her today for the first time. She would not eat them!! And it is really hard to get the meat off of the bone. I cant only feed her chicken bones but I dont know how to get her to eat the ribs! I was thinking about getting a meat grinder and just grinding up the bones that she wont eat on her own, but I dont know if I grinder can handle pork or beef ribs. does anybody grind up ribs??? or know what kind of meat grinder i would need (power level or whatever).
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 9:15am PST 
Max won't eat pork ribs either. He will chew on the ends long enough to get enough bone for his needs though. Pork isn't his favorite meat, he will go after beef ribs much harder.

Has she been to the vet? Perhaps she has an issue with her mouth? Something stuck in her teeth, a tooth out of position or cracked? Overgrown gums maybe? Still teething?

If she is being a picky princess try retraining her to eat bone. Does she eat ground RMB? If so then try smashing something easy like chicken necks and chopping them a bit larger every few times as she figures out how to chomp and swallow. Move to something larger like chicken rib sections and gradually stop smashing them.

Max has issues getting stuck when he is hesitant about something. Something scary won't be eaten on its own but if that scary thing is part of a meal he will eat the usual stuff and keep on eating. Try offering the scary bone along with something she will eat readily if she happens to get stuck like Max.

You could try playing with the food too. Max wasn't crazy about furry rabbit heads so I pretended they were a toy and jerked it away from him so he pounced on it. Once his teeth touched it he got the scent/taste and was interested.

And give her plenty of time, don't feed her when you have 15 minutes and then are out the door, she will pick up on the added pressure you are feeling. Lucky for me those rabbit heads were very cheap but I sure wanted him to eat them anyway.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 10:55am PST 
Thank you for your reply! She has been the vet recently and he didn't see anything abnormal, plus she goes to town on this antler we have. She will also chew up chicken backs which I was worried she wouldn't do. She just gets unsure of new things. I will probably try to strip the ribs of as much meat as possible to see of that helps. I have not tried beef ribs yet either.
My concern is about her health. It's not sufficent for her to only eat chicken bones, correct? I'm going to try some turkey neck tomorrow as well. Yesterday was the first time I tried ribs so I'll keep trying. I was sort of inpatient lol, the rib was small! I felt like she was acting like she is a delicate 5lb pound dog when she is a 93 pound mastiff ha. She is only 9 months this week so she could still be teething. I just called a butcher and they won't grind up ribs frown I just want her to get a variety of bones. Is it dangerous for me to try to cut the bone into smaller pieces that she could basically just swallow?
[notify]

Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 11:36am PST 
Duke does this...he is scared of new anything, including food.

What's worked for me is Maxwell's suggestions above. Feed when you have lots of time and don't stand there "hovering" to see if he'll eat. If I'm staring at him acting all weird and anxious about whether he'll eat or not, that makes Duke *really* not want to eat the scary thing!

What I did was offer a mini-smorgasboard of different stuff. He would go from one meat to the other and eventually munch on the new thing. After a few times of that, he got a clue and realized the new stuff was food.

I read somewhere that eating actually induces appetite in dogs...something about literally getting the digestive juices flowing. So if you feed something you know they love first, adding something new second should look more appealing because the dog's appetite has been stimulated. I don't know if that's true scientifically, but anecdotally, I can attest to the fact that it seems to work with Duke.

Edited by author Tue Jan 29, '13 11:38am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 2:10pm PST 
If she will eat chicken backs then that is just fine for now. Max adores them for some reason, his favorite part of the bird. We feed bone for its calcium and phosphorus, as far as I have been able to tell there is very little difference in nutrition between animal bones and just chicken is fine. So for another couple months buy those boring backs and feed lots of boneless red meat and a bit of organ alongside. Maybe her teeth will be finished growing in and she will be more adventurous then.
[notify]
Stella

Barked: Tue Jan 29, '13 2:17pm PST 
ha Stella loves backs as well! I will look around for some softer bone that isnt from poultry. also, is it dangerous to take the meat off the bones? ive heard conflicitng views on this. And if I should leave meat on, how much meat should I leave on to make it safer?
[notify]