GO!

need a bit of advice please

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

JessAnneMari- eLouise

A gentle girl

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 3:18pm PST 
HI everyone. Have a bit of a problem I need to sort out. My Sweet Jessie is a 10 year old shepherd/retriever mix. She has had chronic, wretched, horrible food allergies that result in ear infections and make her pretty miserable. When I switched her to raw about two years ago, I saw a dramatic improvement in her ears, but didnt clear it up entirely. My vet suggested keeping her only on rabbit/hare. This has also helped a bit more. But the problem is that rabbit is such a lean meat that I am struggling to keep weight on her. Since I have started her on only rabbit, she has dropped about 4 kg off her usual 28 kg weight. Anyone have any suggestions for something I could add to her diet that she might tolerate but if fairly 'fatty'? I thought about making her some satin balls, but would want to leave out the grains. What about duck fat? Any thoughts from all of you with great experience? Oh she currently eats a little over a kilo a day and is always hungry and ready for another meal. I also add in tripe to her diet every few days, an occasional mackeral or other fish and some organ meat. But the bulk of her diet is rabbit/hare
[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 4:29pm PST 
Ah, poor thing. If you are feeding tripe, other organs and fish then could one of those be bothering her still? That means you are feeding rabbit, beef, fish and whatever the organs are. Could you feed whole prey? A couple of dogsters have been able to source whole rabbits, lucky things. I suspect whole rabbit is likely to have more fat than dressed carcasses.

Purified fats like lard and suet might have less of the problem proteins that raw fat has. You could try virgin coconut oil. Steve Brown suggests that prey model raw diets are low in a couple of fatty acids that were present in the ancestral diet and suggests supplementing with a couple of plant oils. Perhaps you could get a hold of his book and try to figure it out. I am currently trying, slow going.

Perhaps the diet isn't balanced and the lack of this or that is bothering her too. Perhaps if you went through and figured out any deficiencies and corrected them she would improve. Usually PMR is low in zinc, manganese and magnesium - perhaps not below minimum but possibly below optimal. I give Max a zinc supplement and did give him a manganese/magnesium supplement before figuring out tripe may provide enough of those.

Max reacts to sardines and wheat. He recovers quickly though, day after sardines are out of the diet the ears stop filling with goo for example. He tolerates fish oil that contains sardines and a persistent cyst on top of his head is getting smaller the more fish oil he gets. I will be switching to a salmon oil though, might be even better for him.
[notify]
JessAnneMari- eLouise

A gentle girl

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 4:56pm PST 
Thanks so much for responding Maxwell. You've got so much knowledge in all of this. I know I dont have her on pure rabbit, but I just didnt think I could keep only rabbit and keep her healthy. So she gets tripe (she tends to get constipated and the vet suggested this) and a bit of organ supplement. I was interested that Maxwell reacted to sardines. In hindsight her last ear flareup was immediately following one or two meals of sardines in a few days. I'll read your post again more carefully (wish you could read a post and respond to it at the same time) and follow up on that. Thanks again.
[notify]