GO!

Pig brain?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 9:54am PST 
I found at one of my small local grocery stores today packaged pig brain. It looks to be packed by a meat company ( in a white deli type container).

ok to feed? I've never feed pork before as I've always heard it can cause issues, or have parasites. I have heard however that the parasite concern is from wild boar, wild pig.

Any info? Thanks!! smile
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 10:55am PST 
I seen them, but never gotten it before.. I did buy a pig head it's 11lbs! eek

So Saya will eat brain once she gets to it.. I plan take the ears off and dehydrate them as a chew.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 3:38pm PST 
Sure, it's feedable...great stuff if you can handle handling it! I tried once and just couldn't stomach it. Too slimey. I believe brain is very high in fat, so be careful with feeding too much at once.

We take the easy way out--Duke gets his brain from whole duck heads and a tiny bit from whole sardines.
[notify]

Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 3:53pm PST 
I get Chance's pig brains from the Japanese market and they are packed in containers from Farmland. I let them partially thaw, unmold them (they come out in the shape of the container), portion and freeze.
[notify]
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 NAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 7:55pm PST 
Cool, I was unsure.. I've never found it here before! Thanks smile
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 10:20pm PST 
Oh, and in the US, pork from the store and USDA inspected farms is fine to feed. There are other countries where it's fine as well, those countries escape me at the moment.
[notify]
Hula

This is MY- stuffie!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 10:42am PST 
They sell them at my local international grocery store and I feed them. I believe they are popular in the Hispanic culture. A bit of advice - is you are going to portion them out, do it while partially frozen. Completely thawed pig brains are gooey!confused
[notify]
Crash- Dynamite

Live up to your- Name!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 6:46pm PST 
yes, we find it frozen in a 16oz tub. I share a bit with Crash on his meal a few times a week when we occasionally by a tub. It's like $4 a pound and once it's thawed we have to use it quickly.
He likes it though.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Fri Jan 11, '13 8:40pm PST 
Fun fact there is a restaurant in Indiana that sells brain sandwich.. Used to be beef brains, but due to the mad cow thing they had to switch to pork brains.. eek

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20393387_15,00.html

I live in Indiana never been to that part of it though, but I don't think I'll try that sandwich. big laugh

I've tried beef liver, beef heart, and tiny bit of beef tongue, but never brain..

The liver, heart and tongue is grass fed..

I've compared my grass fed beef tongue to the beef tongue at walmart.. I say the grass fed is 100% nicer looking.
[notify]
Gray Dawn- Treader

Don\\\'t Tread- on me

Barked: Sat Jan 12, '13 2:22am PST 
I used to feed pig brain as part of Treader's organ allotment all the time.
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2