GO!

Non-poultry edible bones?

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 4:52pm PST 
Hi there,
Baby is horribly allergic to chicken, even raw unadulterated kinds not touched by hormones or anything else. And I mean severely allergic.

What are some other edible bones? I heard beef ribs as a possibility, he's 60lbs. I'm not sure I trust him or not, he tends to chew calmly on his antlers and stuff but with added bloody yummy stuff on the edible bone I am a little concerned.

And I heard pork neck is good? Isn't there a higher rate of strange diseases and weird things in pork? Should I freeze it for thirty days first or something?

Thanks.
[notify]
Rexy

I dig in mud- puddles!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 5:06pm PST 
Venison necks and ribs have edible bone, same with pork ribs.
You could also try beef ribs.

Is he able to have duck?

Commercial pork is fine, no need to freeze it before feeding. The only pork you have to worry about is from wild or feral pigs.
[notify]
Baby

What'd you say?- I wasn't- listening.

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 6:07pm PST 
Well, I think we may have encountered a problem. I think he may be allergic to beef too. He got some tonight and is itching way more than this morning. Or is it too soon to tell? I did switch him cold turkey as I've read it varies from dog to dog and didn't think he'd have a problem. If he's allergic to both beef and chicken would it be better to just feed something like blue buffalo freedom with lamb since he can't have grains either?

Ugh, I guess I'm just frustrated and not sure how to help my guy. His allergies are just awful to him. He's always biting at his paws, itching every five seconds, itching at his eyes and causing some hair loss from his claws and some tearing. I just feel awful for him and want to solve his problems.

His vet is useless as she just keeps telling me to feed science diet, um no way....

I guess I'm just not feeling confident in myself and am worried I'll keep giving him things he has allergies to... I have no idea what they are beyond chicken and beef, what if he's allergic to even more? I' guessing lamb and venison and all that is gonna really bring up my bill and I'm sure as expensive as blue is it's cheaper than raw...

What if I don't solve his problems cry

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '13 6:11pm PST

[notify]

Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 8:03pm PST 
Lamb ribs are edible for my 20lb shiba. pork ribs too..

She can handle pork shoulder bone and grind bone off the jointed part of the bone.

Rabbit is another option.

Is turkey, duck OK or all poultry is a no go?
[notify]
Chance

How You Doin'?

Barked: Wed Jan 9, '13 8:25pm PST 
Lamb, rabbit, goat and pork bones are edible.
[notify]
Winston-dog

Sir Winston- Crazy-dog - can we play yet?

Barked: Thu Jan 10, '13 12:39pm PST 
Lamb, rabbit, deer, beef, pork, fish, just off the top of my head.
Hope this helps
[notify]