GO!

goat chunks

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Addie CL1- CL2 CL3 CL4- OAJ

if it moves,- I'll chase it!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 8:32am PST 
Do any of you feed goat chunks? I got some from MPC for some variety and they do have some misc. bones in them.. ( rib bones, other various bones I cant identify)

Do you generally let them eat these bones or are they considered 'rec'bones? They dont seem to be thicker than some rabbit bones i've seen.. but curious to see what you guys think. I'm a bit worried about letting her eat the bones, I decided to take one away last night, but I think she ate a small one.

The reason wy I ask, she had hard time passing stool this morning and it ended up a bit loose afterward.. no vomiting and shes not acting sick ( I'm a vet tech so I do know what to look for with problems..)

Shes eaten plenty of other bones, not sure why this worries me, so figured i'd see from other goat feeders smile

Edited by author Wed Dec 26, '12 8:32am PST

[notify]
Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 9:54am PST 
I don't like feeding bony chunks of any kind. I don't want Max to take a whole bone into his mouth in case he decides to just swallow the whole thing. I have fed such stuff, cut up oxtail. He did get tired of trying to break that bone up and did swallow an unbroken up bone about the size of half a ping pong ball maybe and digested it just fine. Oxtail doesn't have cut edges and was regular in shape, are the chunks you are offering like that?

Goat bones themselves ought to be like lamb or sheep bones, depending on the age at slaughter. Max isn't much of a bone eater now and leaves much of them behind.
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 10:04am PST 
These bones seem to be clean sawed ( no sharp edges just a flat cut) and are about 4-6 inches long surrounded by LOTS of meat
[notify]

Maxwell

I'm triple- superior MAD- now!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 2:32pm PST 
That sure sounds a lot better than the goat chunks I see at the Mexican markets! Cannot believe anybody would buy them, they are 2x2" and all you can see is neatly sawn bone. That likely would be fine for Max then, larger dogs might decide to get it down early though.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 2:34pm PST 
I recently ordered some of these goat chunks from MPC. Duke has a healthy respect for bone, so I don't worry about him swallowing these whole. They appear to be mostly rib and neck bones. One package has some smaller, skinny bones that have very little meat on them which I can't quite identify. They make me nervous and I probably won't eat them.

Honestly, if you're going to order goat (or young beef) from MPC, go with the ground stuff. It's a little more expensive, but also a better value, IMO. There is less bone and more meat in the ground mixes. I get creative with ground meat and stuff it in Kongs or freeze it in lumps and feed frozen.

Question: Have you noticed a "funky" smell to your MPC chunks? My recent order had a smell...not rotten, per se, but definitely a little off. I'm curious if others have encountered this.
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 3:41pm PST 
Uh, that should be ^^"...probably won't FEED..." Oops! red face
[notify]

Barked: Wed Dec 26, '12 7:39pm PST 
hehe Duke, I know what you meant.. I havent noticed an odd smell persay, though I have just opened some tripe, so maybe thats masking it. No problems from what I have fed so far. I have just fed the chunks with the big hunks of meat abd kept an eye on her. I've taken away a few if she just seems to be munching on the bone.
I did notice a rib piece that seems to be mostly bone, I may just toss it, if ti looks safe i'll let her chew on it for a while. I do like to get whole pieces now and then to give her something to chew on and help with dental cleaning.. but I do also feed ground as well.
Thanks for the insight, guys!
[notify]
Kolbe

Where can I run- today?

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 8:38am PST 
Goat in general tends to be a little stinkier than other meat normally, so it might not be a good gauge for that...

If you don't feel comfortable with the rib bone is there enough meat to slice some off the bone and feed it as a little snack?
[notify]

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 11:21am PST 
I was thinking about that after I posted that Kolbe, thanks! I may try it with her and see how she does and go from there. Goat ribs can be eaten though, correct?
[notify]
Duke

I'm king of the- world!

Barked: Thu Dec 27, '12 1:51pm PST 
Thanks, Kolbe, didn't know that about goat!
[notify]
  (Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2