GO!

Tinned mackerel

This is a dedicated place for all of your questions and answers about Raw Diets. There are also some really cool groups like "Raw Fed" on the topic you can join. This forum is for people who already know they like the raw diet or sincerely want to learn more. Please remember that you are receiving advice from peers and not professionals. If you have specific health-related questions about your dog's diet, please contact your vet!

Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 10:20am PST 
HI there

my grocery had a great sale on tinned mackerel. I dont eat it....wouldnt know what to do with it. But bought a few cans for the dogs. They each got one or two little pieces...mackerel in oil. THEY LOVED IT!! Is this an okay/safe thing to feed once a week or so. Made them very happy pups. smile
[notify]
Ember FDX

Go Go Devil- Bunnies!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 11:50am PST 
Mackerel (and salmon) is pretty safe. I feed a can with some fiber as a meal about once a week.

Tuna is the one to be careful with. High mercury/toxin content... When I've done the math it comes out to something like one tuna meal every 5 weeks as being safe for dogs the size of my guys.

"Real" fish is very different than canned in taste and texture, but if you have an Oma's Pride dealer in the area you may be able to get whole (heads, guts and all) mackerel. We got a case once before we had to give up our freezer and my dogs loved it! It came out to something really decent like $2/fish too.

My other fish source is Shaw's. They have those 10 for $10 pouches of frozen filets... It averages out to $4/lb, but that's still an ok price for fish and it's super easy to add them to a meal as bit of extra MM and O3s. Just double check you aren't grabbing the seasoned ones.
[notify]
Saya

I want to play!

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 1:45pm PST 
Saya and Bella loves caned salmon, sardines, and mackerel makes yummy snacks or small meal.
[notify]

Charlie Pete

G-day mate! - Wanna Play?

Barked: Sat Dec 22, '12 2:01pm PST 
Thanks for responding. The store has canned mackerel for about 1.30. One can usually makes a slight bit less than a full meal, so if I feed a bit more the next meal it works well. Wont overdo it but they sure seem to like it.
[notify]